Menu
paradisyouth
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Struggling to set up! Old coaxial cable but no Virgin socket?

Today I received my Virgin hub and began to set up but I don't appear to have the standard kit in my house. I basically have a wire (well actually 2 wires next to each other) coming straight out of my wall (i'm on the first floor of a Victorian maisonette) . They both have little prongs coming out. Obviously they are PLUGS not SOCKETS. 

Noone on the phone at Virgin can help or knows what this is, so have booked an engineer to come on Thursday. In the mean time, does anyone know what I can do? Could I plug one of the cables directly into the hub? They look rather old, the cables are rather painty and dirty and the prongs look a little rusty so I don't want to mess it up!

They say people have had Virgin in my flat before. Am I missing something?!Screenshot_20210504_162404_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Thanks

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
Tudor
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Struggling to set up! Old coaxial cable but no Virgin socket?

That cable looks like Sky satellite cable, VM do use Siamese cable but only one is coax, the other one if 4 core telephone cable.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
paradisyouth
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

cheers for replying - so can I use one or both of the cables into the hub directly?

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

NO that is not a VM cable. that is for a Sky satellite dish
0 Kudos
paradisyouth
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

What on earth?!! Why have VM said I can receive fibre in my flat then? Apparently others have had it in the past. 

Do they get this wrong? I can see other VM wifi networks around me when I search for available networks so it must be possible on my road.

Any tips to where a socket might be located? Or could the previous tenant (who I know used Sky) have removed it?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

its possible someone has removed it. They shouldn't remove any of the VM cabling.

Can you find a omni box on the outside and follow it in. if you can't locate the socket you will need to have a mannged install
0 Kudos
paradisyouth
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Spied this outside near my front door. Says cable media on the grey cover but a generic brand that I don't recognise. Looks pretty old!

0 Kudos
paradisyouth
Tuning in
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Can't seem to upload pic as it's too big. But basically it's like a coaxial cable coming out of a box outside but it just a few inches long . Looks like the wire goes into the earth below. 

0 Kudos
Sasha_W
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi @paradisyouth

Welcome to the forum page and thanks for posting this on here. 

Sorry for any inconvenience caused with your wires, but from looking at your account and from what you have told us on here, you did have an engineer booked for today. 

Can I just confirm, did this all get sorted for you? Has everything been confirmed and is all okay? Please do let us know if you need further assistance as I am more than happy to help you. 

Thanks 

Sasha - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos