Menu
CN2
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Still getting weak security message

I have done the steps logging on to the 168. Etc as per your guidance but I am still getting the message weak security on my iPhone.

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Still getting weak security message

0 Kudos
CN2
Tuning in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the link but I have already done that - in fact three times am- and still it says weak security. 

fed up with Virgin already - been nothing but problems from agreeing to switch in November to constant date changes for installation, damaging neighbours plants, not replying to emails... 😞

Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

time to ask apple then 🙂
0 Kudos
Richw1982
Fibre optic
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Its an issue with apple iOS14 software, nothing to do with Virgin or 'weak security.'  The hub uses 2 forms of encryption and Apple have deleted the support for one of them.  Older devices use the encryption that apple no longer support so de activating that may mean some devices not connecting

Not just happening with Virgin either

Solved: Weak Security - BT Community

I work for Virgin Media - but all opinions posted here are my own
CN2
Tuning in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

thanks - good to know my brand new service was installed using old device / equipment... Wow Virgin are clearly spending way too much on advertising and not enough on quality for the customer....

0 Kudos
Richw1982
Fibre optic
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Its nothing to do with old equipment?  The hub is designed to be backwards compatible, if it wasn't none of your older devices would connect to it.  If you buy MS Office 2121 you could still load older versions, doesnt mean Office 2121 is old it means the software is designed to also work on older versions or devices in this case.  One form of encryption is for older devices and the other for new devices.  Apple have removed their support for the old encryption type hence the error.  I'm sure you would be more annoyed if virgin had stopped backwards compatibility and your older devices would no longer work

0 Kudos
CN2
Tuning in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

OK - I misunderstood you then - I thought “Older devices use the encryption that apple no longer support so de activating that may mean some devices not connecting” meant the router hub or whatever it is was old.

0 Kudos
Richw1982
Fibre optic
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

No, it will be a new hub and latest software, but apple have caused the issue amongst multiple ISP's by removing the support for one of the forms of encryption.

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

It wouldn't surprise if Apple brought out their own branded high cost  routers in the near future.

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Problem Solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks for a useful post