Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Static IP WAN settings for Modem Mode

I have a static external IP address with my package and want to use my Hub 3.0 in Modem Mode so I can connect my own router.

I need the WAN settings as detailed below. I already know my static IP address but do not have the rest...

I have reset the Hub and my router several times and am connected to the WAN port on my router with nothing else connected. I have also run the setup to try get my router to detect the settings but this always fails to get the details. It does however know the type is 'static'.

IP address
Subnet Mask
Default Gateway
Primary DNS
Secondary DNS

Can support assist with these details?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Static IP WAN settings for Modem Mode

Hi,

can you please message me with you Virgin account number and area reference, i will have a look into your account and see if i can answer your questions

many thanks

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

just to confirm are you a business customer, since only these get a static IP addresses, you'll be able to find these in what ever router your hub is attached too, what router do you have?, since could try turn both off..turn on hub wait for the lights to settle can take a few minutes making sure the ethernet cable is attached to the port nearest the coax cable and into WAN port of router.
and then turn on router, if your not a business customer the WAN settings on the router should be set to DHCP

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

No not a business customer however I do have a static IP address.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

VM doesn't issue static IP addresses to residential customers.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Legend
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

As stated VM do not issue static IP addresses to residential customers in the UK. Are you in Eire by any chance. If your are in the UK the WAN port on your router must be set to DHCP.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Ok so i was wrong! I set my macbook to dhcp, connected via ethernet cable to hub and found the settings....so must not have a static ip!

So I have entered the exact ip address, subnet mask, default gateway and dns that got assigned to my macbook into my router WAN settings and disconnected my MAC.

Then run an ethernet cable from the WAN port of my router to port 1 on the hub 3. Then rebooted both hub and router (hub turned back on first, then router), connected my macbook by wifi (dhcp) to my router but still have no internet access.....

I feel I am getting close but am i missing something?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

You need to set the WAN connection on your router to be DHCP and then reboot both the router and then the VM Hub.

The IP address is dynamic depending on the MAC address of the device connected to it in modem mode. It is very ‘sticky’ though.

0 Kudos