Menu
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Sourcing approved cable for my extension

Hi. My electrician will be laying all the cables soon for my extension and I want to make sure I am cabled up for Virgin, with the wall points ready for commissioning.  Please could you advise on what cable to use and points to install? I have a (very old) pre-existing cable connection to a box outside the house for later commissioning/connection.  Thanks.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Sourcing approved cable for my extension

Hi there

Happy to provide assistance, we would always advise getting out engineers to install cabling as we use the correct crimped connections, insulated cabling and isolators.

Please drop me a private message with your details and i'll take a look into this for you.

Thanks

Christy

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

As noted by Christy, only VM can install the "VM" cables, i.e. co-ax from outside to the Hub, V6 etc.

However you can install ethernet cables to the extension for wired connections as VM will not do this. I would suggest you carefully plan where you will need cables and try to avoid wifi connections where possible.  If you do need wifi I would suggest you install a wired Access Point centrally, preferably in the ceiling, similar to a smoke alarm.  Any good electrician should be able to do this if you are not confident at self installing.

0 Kudos
Joining in
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks and yes, I am looking to put an ethernet network port in the TV area as well and as you say, trying to avoid core services being dependent on wifi where possible. 

Can such a network port be used instead of a VM co-ax point, if the VM point is (say) at the front of the house? Or does the co-ax need to connect directly to the box.  Sorry if these are dumb questions! 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

As Adduxi says, run exterior grade Cat6 ethernet cable (make sure it is "solid core" and has the "shielding" as it will possibly be next to/close to a power cable in the same trench.

Are you wanting the Hub to be in the extension ? That might be problematic - so best to have it in the main house near the existing wall point (?) is easiest and connect the Hub to the the extension by ethernet cable as advised.

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Problem sorter
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@-carol- wrote:

<snip>

Can such a network port be used instead of a VM co-ax point, if the VM point is (say) at the front of the house? Or does the co-ax need to connect directly to the box.  Sorry if these are dumb questions! 

No, VM are very specific in the T&C's about cables.  They must install and provide all the co-ax cables for their circuits, no exceptions.

So, the VM cable comes in from the outside box, to your Hub. If you have additional V6 boxes for TV, these also need to have co-ax connections.  Any V6 TV boxes also need either an ethernet cable connected (preferred) or a strong wifi signal.

I would suggest you plan to run a Cat 6 cable from the Hub to a central unmanaged switch. From this switch you can run the rest of the ethernet cables to your planned locations, including your TV, V6 boxes (if any) and WiFi Access Point(s)