Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Some questions about preparation required before installation

I want the Hub to be located in the converted loft along with the other networking gear. I've read some threads that say the engineer won't be be working at heights but then others seems to suggest they could do up to the first floor? I know the loft is going to be a bit higher than the first floor so maybe it's totally out of question whether anyone from VM will be able to work at those heights? Would be great if someone could clarify the following questions:

1) Is the only viable installation an entry at ground level with a coaxial cable pulled up (from the inside of the house) to the loft providing I have the pull cables in place at the time of installation?

2) If I'm going for a second V6 box for the living room downstairs (ground floor), would the engineer split at ground entry to take the second coaxial feed and take ethernet line from the loft (assuming I make the ethernet cable available to the engineer)?

3) I gather that this isn't a trivial/normal instillation process for this setup so I should already do some DIY/local person in preparation. In which case, I would have to figure out where the VM engineer will make the entry into the house from the ground floor in order to have the pull cable available in that location? Or is the location of entry flexible providing it's safe to do so?

4) Alternatively, if I were to have a person equipped to work at heights during the installation, would the VM engineer be able to hand off the work of pulling the cable up on the external walls to the other person? I'm not sure if this is going to cause more hassle in the future (repairs etc.) and if I'm better off with ground entry and cable pulled up from the inside?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Re: Some questions about preparation required before installation

Hi there ,

do you have an install booked ? I could possibly arrange a site survey for you to take a look.

Jon

Here to help! I'm an install manager helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 4
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jon,

I haven't got an installation booked. I'm trying gather some information regarding the whole VM installation process for a house I will be moving to near October time. I wasn't aware VM would be able to do site surveys but that's good to know. I wonder if I were to arrange a date with the current home owner, would VM be able to visit and do a survey? I want to try and avoid any additional time this would take after I have moved in case I need to get an external person into do cable pulls and other preparation work.

Would VM do a survey without an actual written commitment or a booked installation? I'm certain I will be going with Virgin once I move, I'm not sure how this could work when I'm technically not the owner of that home yet.

Also, just a side question, when I search the address of the home, VM is stating that I would be able to do a self-installation. Just to confirm, does this mean the home was setup with VM previously, even though the current home owner is with Sky?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 4
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi there,

I will drop you a private message to get the address and take a look on the system what has been installed there previously and take a look on google maps at the house.

thank you

Jon

Here to help! I'm an install manager helping out whilst working from home. Find out more