Menu
monkeyfunkster
Joining in
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

So fed up waiting for "activation"

Hi

So I went on compare the market after having issues with Sky's speed. I get a call from a lovely lady who promised me that as soon as I get the router, I plug it in and it's already activated as the people who lived here before us already had Virgin so no need for an engineer. 

So it arrives and I realise it's not for the socket she told me (what I'd call a phone socket- we have a BT one where Sky was plugged into using a splitter for the phone and router, and next to it an NTL one she told me to use) and eventually found one that looked like the picture with a coaxial port. I plug it in and just have 2 flashing green lights. So I call at 5pm and am chastised for not activating first (the robot on the phone couldn't understand that I was told it was auto activated) and said to give it an hour for updates. 

I gave it two. Still flashing. I restarted it. Still flashing. So I call again. Then chastised for not waiting for an activation text. 

But I am still waiting and given I've now been told 3 different things, I don't know what to trust. I went with Virgin due to hell with Sky and left with even more stress! Oh and to top it off, I asked to pay for phone and transfer my number from Sky, but not done yet and through all of this, can't get hold of the sales person (have her mobile). 

Looking on my account, it says my service has been disconnected, which is damn scary.

Can anyone advise please? Torn my downstairs to bits to find this port, if anything I'd just like to tidy it back up but can't incase I need to change ports!

Thanks!

0 Kudos
carl_pearce
Superstar
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: So fed up waiting for "activation"

Could you post a picture up showing what you've connected to where?

0 Kudos
monkeyfunkster
Joining in
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Excuse the dust! And the mess of cables while I've been messing about with this. So first is showing the ntl/bt and the sky cable is still connected as I was given 14 day cooldown before they apparently cancel sky for me. 

Then the other is where the coaxial is. The most awkward place ever. 

Second caller insisted she could see router was plugged in on her system

*edit, pics too big, give me a sec

0 Kudos
monkeyfunkster
Joining in
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Screenshot_20200717-211502_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200717-211507_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200717-211513_Gallery.jpg

   

0 Kudos
newapollo
Superstar
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi monkeyfunster,

Sorry to see the issues you are having getting started.

If the CS could see the router was plugged into the system then that means the service hasn't been disconnected.

The correct number to call to get your box activated is 0800 953 9500. I'm not sure what time they close, it may be 8pm, but they do open at 8am.

You will need the serial number of the box, and also your account number and area number.

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
0 Kudos
monkeyfunkster
Joining in
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

2 people on the phone told me it has been activated.

Still no text.

What could be wrong? I went with Virgin as I was promised it'd be eas . I'm registered disabled and have a hospital procedure tomorrow. This is just *such* a let down. Was so excited about having a decent connection at last 😭

Any other suggestions, please help...

0 Kudos
carl_pearce
Superstar
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

I can't see the images yet as they need to be approved by admin, sorry.

0 Kudos
newapollo
Superstar
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

HI again monkeyfunster,

Sorry we haven't been able to get you up and running yet.

Hopefully a member of Forum Staff will pick on this for you in the next 24 hours or so.
Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
0 Kudos
LittleMick73
Superstar
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi did you phone the activation 0800 number as advised. Regards Micky
0 Kudos
monkeyfunkster
Joining in
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi, as above, I called for help and the person at 5pm told me he'd activated it.

Update (if you can call it that) is I got 2 texts today at 7.31am (clearly not before midnight as I was *promised*) that it was activated and at 8.30 saying let's get cracking, we've sent the signal to your home.

So I reset the box. Unplugged and unplugged all. Then waited again. Nada.

So I called, again, at 2pm. Around 20 mins on call and 15 min call with Karen. Explained the whole thing again. Said all the clear lies, false promises, clear rude, lazy nature will be on recordings and I want them reviewed. I get that there might be a fault, maybe people who lived here before cut a cable before leaving. Maybe I unplugged something years ago not knowing what it was, these things happen. But don't lie, don't be lazy. I was up gone midnight waiting before a hospital appt for 8am, clearly not ideal. 

So Karen (her actual name, not the meme) promised (*promised*) that a technical person (as only now I'm told that the people on the fault line are only customer service and not technical) would call me within 4 hours. Well 6 hours later, and the phone lines closing in 10 mins, I doubt it'll happen. And I'm not calling this late, risking getting the people I spoke to yesterday. 

So I've gone to switch from Sky to go from bad to worse. I get that it's covid and less people working so busier, but I'm a brand new customer (surely after calling almost seconds after I went on compare the market to sign me up, they'd want to keep me within the cooldown?!), begging for help.

Anyone here that can help in *any* way, please do. I'm so close to saying you know what, just take it back, I'd rather have the slow internet than this hassle! Is customer service this bad for everyone?!

0 Kudos