Menu
Hollie5678
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Smart plugs, new to virgin

Hi all

Hoping for some help. I’ve just joined virgin yesterday with a hub 3. I’ve had a few problems with wifi dipping in and out and connection problems. 
I’m unable to connect to my avatar smart plugs, I’ve tried resetting them but they are not recognised when I try adding them. I’ve attempted turning off smart optimisation but that didn’t make any difference. 
Any tips gratefully received 

N

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Smart plugs, new to virgin

Put the Hub into Modem Mode and use your own Router or Mesh System.

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Changing the WiFi names to different things sometimes helps, then more devices can see them. 

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Community elder
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Smart plugs generally have rather insensitive WiFi, and the Virgin Hubs are also very weak. So the plugs are often out of range.  You can test the plugs by fitting them next to the Hub and see if they work there.

Everything works better with your own WiFi access point or router.

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

you might need to forget them on the app you are using but thats probarbly happened already as it will not be able to find your old wifi - so you need to set up the app to the new wifi on the hub3 - you also need to reset the smart plugs and re pair them - usual method is hold the button on the smart plug for 5 or so seconds until you get a quick flashing light

smart plugs work on the 2.4 band usually - so set the app up to the 2.4 band but before you do that split the bands on the hub3

if the above does not work it means the wifi from the hub3 is not good enough for the position of the smart plugs but thats another problem - see how the re setup works and come back if you still have connection problems

Tony
Hollie5678
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Many thanks for all the answers. I’ve turned off the smart optimisation and renamed 2.4 and 5 bands. And they are working! Thankyou!! 

0 Kudos