Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Sky to virgin media lost my phone number

Hi all,

Looks like Virgin media have a habit of forgetting to import my phone number from Sky. 

ive just spent over 7 weeks chasing virgin media about importing my number from Sky and I’ve been lied to a number of times regardless of how patient I’ve been. Today I contacted Virgin Media only to be told we can’t to anything you need a active line. Sky tells me that the number has gone back to BT. BT have told me that the number has gone back to Open reach and they have a high probability that they can retrieve the number back for me. However I would need to take a contract out with them! 

Virgin Media please get your own house in order and the call centres you use if you wish impress use with the service you provide. I’m now looking to leave and go back to normal ADSL line, especially when my service has gone down 4 times since the 28th September.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Re: Sky to virgin media lost my phone number

Bit puzzled you want to port a number from sky to virginmedia without a telephone line? 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I can see where it might be a bit confusing but I read it as that the OP does have a VM phone line but to port a number your old line still has to be active.

It seems to be a fairly common thing, people move provider and cancel their existing old provision. That's fine for broadband and TV but do that for the phone line and you stymie the number porting. I think there's a bit of a lack of good advice on doing this and to be fair it's not obvious that you should (indeed have to) keep the old number live until the port is underway and then it gets cancelled automatically. 

John

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Most of the problem is that people assume the porting process to be the same as porting a mobile number, which it is not.

Also very few people look at the OFCOM advice on their website before making the change.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hello gauharandsaamia

Thanks for your post 

Sorry to read the above issue you have been having

Sadly we can only port a number across from another supplier, If both lines are active 

We are ready and can sort this for you, but only if the number is active with your previous supplier 

Gareth_L

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

I had both lines up and running - both lines and services being with sky broadband and phone line and with virgin media.  I have a lot of friends,  family and others who have my number. Doesn’t make sense to keep changing phone numbers. 

virgin  media assured me that they would import my number across a number of times and when you come across virgin media members of staff from different teams contradicting each other it does not look good 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi gauharandsaamia

Appreciate this is not good at all

Can I just confirm if the number you wish to bring over is still active or not 

If its not then sadly its not possible 

Gareth_L

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

When my service ended with Sky my number went back to BT. I’ve checked with BT it appears that the number is now with Open reach and I would have to take up a new service with them in order to get the number back. 

Its only fair for virgin media to pay for the costs involved in getting the number back. It’s simple to say the phone number needs to be active before you can import the number, but when your own process and procedures do not work and you are consistently being lied to by virgin media staff. Who do you trust and believe? I’ve talked the the import team, tech support, billing team, cancellation team, customer services, what do you suggest now? 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

My service with sky ended due to virgin media taking its time to import my number. That is what I was told every time I called virgin media and Sky.

ive seen others members complaining as well. My service has gone down a few times already. So  far I’ve had a rubbish services.

im happy to go back to the old ADSL service   As I didn’t have this issue and I don’t expect to pay anything to virgin media as they caused a number of issues in the first place. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Hi gauharandsaamia

With no active landline number we will not be able to proceed with this. 

It would also not be possible to cover any activation costs. 

Are you able to advise what part of the service has gone down?

Gareth_L

0 Kudos