cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Signal attenuator

BnT86
On our wavelength

Hi, we had an installation a couple of years ago and the engineer left us with an inline attenuator. 

I’ve just got an upgrade to the hub 5 as the 3 was flaky (lots of recent drops) and when installing it, I removed the attenuator (trying to get the 5 working, when all it probably needed was a reboot). 
As all is now stable, I am not planning on re-adding the attenuator but should I?

I’ve done a tiny bit of searching so I know what it is and does, but is there a way to tell if the too-strong signal that I presumably had is still an issue?

Networking really isn’t my thing, as you can probably tell. I’m genuinely quite pleased to have re-set-up my mesh router with the new modem (hub in modem mode) and got it all working again. 

thanks

Bruce

7 REPLIES 7

mda99das
Up to speed

If you look at my threads on this might give some insight.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Post the signal levels, and we can tell you. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

BnT86
On our wavelength

Hi, I really don’t mean to sound this stupid, but where do I find the signal levels? Ie what are they shown as… dBmV maybe?

I’ll happily post them 🙂

ok so I’ve done a tiny bit of the research I should have done before….downstream dmbv ranges from 11 to 13.2. This seems to be in line with what Google suggests is good?

upstream is 35.5 - 36.8 which is borderline low I think (cursory google again)?

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Those downstream values are too high. Put the attenuator back.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

BnT86
On our wavelength

Thanks, I will take that advice. 👍

BnT86
On our wavelength

Ok the downstream are now 1.8-4 max. 
that feels low tbh? Based on a random page on the internet, admittedly. 

if this is safer for the kit and the connection stays stable, I’ll leave it. So far, so good (4 minutes in!) 

thanks for your input 

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

That's now in the middle of the range. 

- jpeg1