cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shopto.net site blocked by Virgin ?

wevsky
On our wavelength

No idea if this is even the correct lace to post, but i can't seem to find a drop down selection that covers this
I used to be able to go onto Shopto.net earlier this year, im on the hunt for a ps5 for my nephew, now the last month or so i just cant get on. i get an error whcih ill post an image of
I have tried 4 browsers, still nothing, i tried on my phone on wifi, nothing, 4g i can get onto it and with a VPN i can reach the website, so i can only imagine it's one of the websites blocked by Virgin, my question is, why would it be blocked?

1g.JPG

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Anonymous
Not applicable
thats because your mobile data uses another IP address. the site has blocked your Vm IP address.
Nothing VM can do about that

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@wevsky wrote:

They do not seem to have an email address or web chat available, so would involve actually talking to them on the phone or writing an actual letter. which i cant see me doing, i will have to continue using a vpn

Based on similar issues reported on this forum with PSN blocking IPs and Sony support being unhelpful, I think it is unlikely you will get anywhere with Shopto. As it is their hosting provider UKFast doing the blocking Shopto probably have no idea it is happening.

Getting a clean report from the links I provided is not definitive proof that there is not malware on your LAN, so I'd still recommend checking for malware on all your devices.

It could be that you have inherited an IP from someone who did have malware, in which case the Shopto site should allow access again after a few days.  The inherently sticky nature of VM IPs makes this scenario less likely, but not impossible.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

34 REPLIES 34

Anonymous
Not applicable
that error is not from VM. its coming from the remote site.
Looks like they are blocking for IP address. 403 is a forbidden message from the remote web server

Works fine for me. Looks like your IP address has been blocked.

Hub 5 Modem Mode, Asus XT8
My Broadband Ping - Gig1 Modem Mode

Z92
Trouble shooter

The website thinks you have been using the site beyond reasonable shopping habits and has blocked you not virgin. Perhaps you have been constantly refreshing a page or suchlike whilst trying to bag a shiny new ps5? 

wevsky
On our wavelength
You would think that could be the case, but as said ,if i turn off wifi and use 4g on my mobile it connects just fine, i have been thru many settings on my pc, and it doesnt seem to be a problem with anything on there

wevsky
On our wavelength
I hve tried via twitter to get a rely from shopto, but it seems to be wifi or in my case on my pc a direct connection via lan cable.4g is fine on my mobile.

Anonymous
Not applicable
thats because your mobile data uses another IP address. the site has blocked your Vm IP address.
Nothing VM can do about that

wevsky
On our wavelength
Very odd, ill try and get hold of shopto directly

SCA1972
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

As others have stated it is not a VM error, but rather a page generated by Shopto's hosting provider.  Their security system seems to be detecting suspicious traffic from your VM IP which it is interpreting as a DDoS attack. Details of the security system here:
https://www.ukfast.co.uk/ddos-protection.html

I'd check all device on your LAN for malware and see if either of these sites flag anything for your IP:

https://www.ipqualityscore.com/free-ip-lookup-proxy-vpn-test

https://www.akamai.com/us/en/clientrep-lookup/

My setup: VM TV box, M350 Fibre broadband with Hub 3 in modem mode connected to a Netgear R7000 router. Telewest/VM user since 2001.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

wevsky
On our wavelength

Nothing dodgy to report on my IP