Menu
Highlighted
cganderton
Joining in
Message 1 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Shallow laid service cable cut

I had some workmen making changes to a pathway in front of my property last weekend that managed to dig through the virgin media cable given that it was basically about 5cm under my front lawn without any shielding!

I've been told that the nearest re-pull appointment for my area is a week from now, meaning I'll  have been without service for two weeks up tot he point a fresh cable has been pulled from the cabinet, but then also I imagine I will end up waiting for a separate appointment to terminate and reconnect that cable to my property services.

Does anyone know if VM can actually patch the existing cable to simply re-instate service whilst we're waiting for the re-pull, or if i do this myself will it cause any automated service to cancel the re-pull? As many I'm pretty stuffed without regular internet services, as I work from home an awful lot!

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 3
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Shallow laid service cable cut

@cganderton wrote:

I had some workmen making changes to a pathway in front of my property last weekend that managed to dig through the virgin media cable given that it was basically about 5cm under my front lawn without any shielding!

Quite a common occurance with installs that happened with Virgins predecessors. Cables were (& still are laid to "a spades depth") & the shielding is fairly cheap.

I've been told that the nearest re-pull appointment for my area is a week from now, meaning I'll  have been without service for two weeks up tot he point a fresh cable has been pulled from the cabinet, but then also I imagine I will end up waiting for a separate appointment to terminate and reconnect that cable to my property services.

Nope. The repull team will re-terminate the cable at the omni-box. As the length of cable will be the same the levels will be correct, so no need for access inside.

Does anyone know if VM can actually patch the existing cable to simply re-instate service whilst we're waiting for the re-pull, or if i do this myself will it cause any automated service to cancel the re-pull? As many I'm pretty stuffed without regular internet services, as I work from home an awful lot!

Won't help you a lot, as the normal techs will not do this type of repair. They will only deal with issues inside. There also needs to be enough slack in the drop line to insert a gel pack connector. I would also advise against any DIY repairs, as any non standard cable kit can cause noise on the network. Freeview & DAB radio signals leaking into the network through non standard or badly connected kit could disrupt your neighbours services as well as your own.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

cganderton
Joining in
Message 3 of 3
Flag for a moderator

Re: Shallow laid service cable cut

Thanks @nodrogd

So turns out the local Kelly office managed to get a team to do the re-pull this morning, I guess I need to wait anyway now for that new coax to be terminated at cab and premesis end. The re-pull guys were nice though and added some extra ducting for me to shield the cable when the work is completed that needs to go over the cable in the next few days.

0 Kudos