Menu
Deserrol
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Setting up boosters with Hub 3.0 - really 101 stuff but app has different instructions to boxed stuff

Guys,

I posted recently about boosters and had some great replies which appeared to solve my issue.  However all has gone to pot after I moved the booster box, and I note that the instructions in the VM app are incorrect/unclear and differ to the instructions supplies with the booster a week or so ago.

I have a hub 3 and upgraded to 500/mbps from 350/mbps.  VM sent me two boosters - small and large.  Pre 500 I had a devolo 500 setup and life was good.

Issue is that, basically, I don't understand what the lights mean on the devices.  What do the two arrows mean - they are continually on large and small devices; the white lights solid means "all good?".  When does the wifi light come into play?.  I've tried factory re-setting both boxes and starting from scratch but have no evidence of boosting.  I have small device on RJ45 and the larger device roaming.

Which is the "predominant" box - large or small or does it not matter exactly which one is RJ45 to the router?

Surely when all lights are stable I can just move the bigger, non-RJ45 box to anywhere? - that's what it's all about isn't it?

Presumably to pair any device which has similar tech standards (a/b/g/h/n/etc.) should not be a problem, e.g. I could theoretically pair my devolo 500 with the Hub 3 and live happily?  On devolo I press the house button and on Hub 3 then WPA button on the front?  Paying an additional £5/month for another booster is not really the answer (in any event I managed to get through to speak to someone at VM who said they had no stock and were not expecting any until March 2021 and I would have to join the queue... 😞

Please, any help anyone?  Am massively frustrated with VM and still have 4-5 days before I can reject their whole system and move elsewhere, likely to a mesh system and use the Hub 3 as a modem.

Many thanks

(setup, boosters, devolo, nightmare, device lights, mesh)

0 Kudos
carl_pearce
Superstar
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Setting up boosters with Hub 3.0 - really 101 stuff but app has different instructions to boxed stuff

@Deserrol wrote:

Guys,

I posted recently about boosters and had some great replies which appeared to solve my issue.  However all has gone to pot after I moved the booster box, and I note that the instructions in the VM app are incorrect/unclear and differ to the instructions supplies with the booster a week or so ago.

I have a hub 3 and upgraded to 500/mbps from 350/mbps.  VM sent me two boosters - small and large.  Pre 500 I had a devolo 500 setup and life was good.

Issue is that, basically, I don't understand what the lights mean on the devices.  What do the two arrows mean - they are continually on large and small devices; the white lights solid means "all good?".  When does the wifi light come into play?.  I've tried factory re-setting both boxes and starting from scratch but have no evidence of boosting.  I have small device on RJ45 and the larger device roaming.

Which is the "predominant" box - large or small or does it not matter exactly which one is RJ45 to the router?

Surely when all lights are stable I can just move the bigger, non-RJ45 box to anywhere? - that's what it's all about isn't it?

Presumably to pair any device which has similar tech standards (a/b/g/h/n/etc.) should not be a problem, e.g. I could theoretically pair my devolo 500 with the Hub 3 and live happily?  On devolo I press the house button and on Hub 3 then WPA button on the front?  Paying an additional £5/month for another booster is not really the answer (in any event I managed to get through to speak to someone at VM who said they had no stock and were not expecting any until March 2021 and I would have to join the queue... 😞

Please, any help anyone?  Am massively frustrated with VM and still have 4-5 days before I can reject their whole system and move elsewhere, likely to a mesh system and use the Hub 3 as a modem.

Many thanks

(setup, boosters, devolo, nightmare, device lights, mesh)

The small box plugs into the HUB and power socket.

The larger just the power socket, where it provides wired and wireless access where the HUB cannot reach.

Have a look through this online guide to see if it helps:

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/setup/connect-booster 

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-booster-troubleshooting 

Deserrol
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Setting up boosters with Hub 3.0 - really 101 stuff but app has different instructions to boxed stuff

That is just such an unhelpful reply - MEANINGLESS!  You should not reply to posts unless you have taken time to read and digest them, and especially pointing people in the direction of STUFF THEY HAVE ALREADY SEEN AND BEEN THROUGH MANY TIMES!

0 Kudos
carl_pearce
Superstar
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@Deserrol wrote:

That is just such an unhelpful reply - MEANINGLESS!  You should not reply to posts unless you have taken time to read and digest them, and especially pointing people in the direction of STUFF THEY HAVE ALREADY SEEN AND BEEN THROUGH MANY TIMES!

How do I know you've seen the online guide? You said the app which is completely different.

You asked for information to differentiate between the smaller and larger booster pair, which I answered.

Good luck with that attitude.

0 Kudos
Deserrol
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Please get over yourself carl_pearce.  The problem is that the material is contradictory.  I have read app instructions, the web instructions and paper instructions.  If you are a "super user" then please address your superiority to the forum.  If you HAD READ ALL of my post you would know that.

0 Kudos
carl_pearce
Superstar
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@Deserrol wrote:

Please get over yourself carl_pearce.  The problem is that the material is contradictory.  I have read app instructions, the web instructions and paper instructions.  If you are a "super user" then please address your superiority to the forum.  If you HAD READ ALL of my post you would know that.

Posting multiple threads just confuses things, especially duplicates:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Networking-and-WiFi/Nightmare-trying-to-get-this-stuff-working/... 

I'll leave you to it.

0 Kudos
Deserrol
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

My bad - "superstar" (clearly working for VM.

0 Kudos
carl_pearce
Superstar
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@Deserrol wrote:

My bad - "superstar" (clearly working for VM.

If you bothered to read the forums you'd know VM staff are clearly marked in their avatars.

0 Kudos
Deserrol
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

One shouldn't need to "read the forums" - it should be 101 stuff.  Please do not reply to this as I think you are part of the problem.  Thank you.

0 Kudos
carl_pearce
Superstar
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@Deserrol wrote:

One shouldn't need to "read the forums" - it should be 101 stuff.  Please do not reply to this as I think you are part of the problem.  Thank you.

Yeah just like 'reading all of your posts'...

0 Kudos