Menu
markjs
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Services disconnected after house move

Back in mid-June this year I moved into a flat and brought my Superhub and V6 TV box with me from my previous address.

I hadn't told VM about the move at this point, but the flat is already wired for VM so I just plugged everything in and the TV and Broadband were both working fine.

I then completed the online form to tell VM about the move and provided the new address. However, recently when checking my online bills I noticed they still had the old address. So I called them on Saturday and explained the situation, they said there would be a £20 admin fee to move the services to my new address, I said fine.

Then at midnight on Sunday I got the "Sorry, there seems to be a problem..." message on the TV and it will only let me view a handful of channels and I can't watch any of my recordings because apparently I'm no longer subscribed to the channel. The broadband has also gone down with an "Access Denied" message on the status page.

Everything had been fine for nearly 2 months before I called VM. I wish I hadn't have bothered telling them now.

I'm guessing they have de-activated my account. Is this normal when informing VM of a house move? Do I need to call them or will this resolve itself soon?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Services disconnected after house move

You need to call them & ensure the serial numbers of the boxes are attached to the new account.

The switch off is just coincidental. Virgins systems can detect when kit has moved to a different location & will deactivate it after a while to stop it being used illegally at another location. While the boxes were attached to the old account it was inevitable they would have been switched off at sometime, so if you had not called the same thing would still have happened.

Cable customer since 1993. Services: FH TV, Sky Sports & Movies (2xV6), Talk Anytime Phone, VIVID 350, Virgin PAYG Mobile
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

When you inform VM of a house move you lose services at some point during your disconnection day and your hub and TV box need to be reactivated at your new address to get back your services.

Incidentally the handful of channels is the free to air ones which are broadcast unencrypted and therefore do not require an activated TV box to view them. So, council telly for you for a while.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
markjs
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the responses.

I think they did say something on the phone about my services being moved on the 15th. Didn't realise I would just be cut off for 3 days though, seems a bit unnecessary since everything was already working fine.

The new place is less than a mile from the old house so wasn't sure if VM would be able to tell the equipment was plugged in somewhere else

0 Kudos
markjs
Joining in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

This just gets more and more confusing

Today I received a letter from VM saying that I have an "installation date" of this Thursday morning. It's not clear if this refers to an engineer visit or parcel delivery, but in any case I'm not going to be home then.

It also asks me to sign a new 12 month contract, which I wasn't advised of when I called on Saturday. I am out of my original contract and don't want to sign a new one.

The account number on the letter is also different from the one shown on my bills.

Never realised it would be so much hassle to move the services to a new address. Can someone from VM advise what is going on and when I can expect my services to be back online?

0 Kudos
chenks
Trouble shooter
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

the reason for the all change is due to the way virgin provide service.
the provide service to a property, not to a person. so when you move that existing account gets closed and a new one starts at the new property - that would explain the new account number, and most likely explain the new 12 month contract.
0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Community elder
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Your remaining contract would continue until the end only if there was no change to the package, so it has to be a new contract now as your old one has been terminated as it was at an end.

The account number is different as your address is different. You get your services back when you've agreed a new contract and reactivate your equipment on the installation date.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos