cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Semi-dead connection?

Milambar
Dialled in

My internet connection keeps dropping.

The service checker just keeps erroring out. The help pages keep going to a message that you are making updates to your website, and 151 keeps telling me that technical support is closed for the night.

Some websites are reachable, but a huge amount are not. 

reddit - unreachable
dailymail - unreachable
theregister - unreachable
worldofwarcraft - unreachable (both game and website)
worldofwarcraft forums - reachable
messenger.com - occasionally unreachable.
facebook - unreachable

I have rebooted the modem twice (interestingly the modem config filename changed to what looks like a string of garbage characters - .iyewrkldJKDHSUBsgvca6983

Can someone tell me what is going on, and how long I can expect it to last?

5 REPLIES 5

Dannilion
Joining in

Happening to me too. I'm able to Google and watch YouTube, but can't access down detector, connect to my VPN, or use Discord. Also more worryingly, my mobile is not connecting to Virgin Mobile (says emergency calls only). I can't access either status checker. 

jhuk
Trouble shooter

VM site was down for maintenance and CLOUDFARE were also doing so in Manchester so anyone who uses them would have outages but not sure if that is what effected VM mobile as system may rely on it also.

CLOUDFARE:

MAN (Manchester) on 2023-04-04
In progress - Scheduled maintenance is currently in progress. We will provide updates as necessary.
Apr 04, 2023 - 00:30 UTC
Scheduled - We will be performing scheduled maintenance in MAN (Manchester) datacenter on 2023-04-04
between 00:30 and 06:30 UTC. Traffic might be re-routed from this location, hence there is a possibility of a
slight increase in latency during this maintenance window for end-users in the affected region. For PNI / CNI
customers connecting with us in this location, please make sure you are expecting this traffic to fail over
elsewhere during this maintenance window as network interfaces in this datacentre may become temporarily
unavailable.

Dannilion
Joining in

Seems pretty much back to normal now. Since I could finally get to Down Detector, I found we weren't the only ones to have issues. Might have to look into a different mobile network though as I'm disabled and rely on the internet for communication. 

Seems to be mostly fixed here too now.

I to rely on my internet for communication, as I am deaf, mobility impaired, and going slowly blind.

unisoft
Well-informed

@Milambar wrote:

My internet connection keeps dropping.

The service checker just keeps erroring out. The help pages keep going to a message that you are making updates to your website, and 151 keeps telling me that technical support is closed for the night.

Some websites are reachable, but a huge amount are not. 

reddit - unreachable
dailymail - unreachable
theregister - unreachable
worldofwarcraft - unreachable (both game and website)
worldofwarcraft forums - reachable
messenger.com - occasionally unreachable.
facebook - unreachable

I have rebooted the modem twice (interestingly the modem config filename changed to what looks like a string of garbage characters - .iyewrkldJKDHSUBsgvca6983

Can someone tell me what is going on, and how long I can expect it to last?

National Outage - looks like routing issue.

Mostly fine in my area but some page don't load even with 3rd party DNS.

Was an issues on VM's system status around 1230am/1am.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2023/04/major-network-outage-strikes-broadband-isp-virgin-medi...