cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Self installation no wall plug

Rilaona
Joining in

Hello,

I've just recently moved into a flat where I selected to have fibre broadband, and self installation. I was under the impression that it virgin allowed you to do self installation, there would already be a wall socket for the isolator cable, but there doesn't seem to be.

All we have is a port for sat, TV and radio, the cable does plug into the sats, but there is no connection. We also have an old open reach telephone line port thing, and another wire which I don't know what it is.

Thanks

Screenshot_20210901-134157.png

4 REPLIES 4

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

as you say if the system has allowed self install there has been an install there in the past but the dual outlet looks as though it could be Sky and they are famous on here for removing the VM cable to fit their own - they are not on their own in fairness - VM do the same thing with Sky cables

so

not all installs have an internal box

start outside and look for the external wall box - 6" square ish usually on wall facing road or pavement - brown or grey usually - follow any cables that come from it and go inside - if there are non look inside opposite external box as they may just have drilled through wall - as said it may just be a cable rather than an internal wall box

if you find a cable you need one of these to attach the cable that came with the quick start kit

https://www.diy.com/departments/tristar-data-cable-coupler/571706_BQ.prd

if that does not get you anywhere you need to ring and book a tech or wait here and staff should be able to book one but they can take a few days to get to threads

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Hello Tony thank you for replying.

Ive just found out that the mystery cable I was talking about is a galvanic isolator, but it doesn't fit into the slot of the router, can I do anything with it?

PXL_20210901_132855568.jpg

Hello,

Thanks, I've just realised I can take it apart, it now fits in the router, looks like we're onto a winner! It had a plastic cover on it originally, and looked like it would be no use at all.

Thanks for the help

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@Rilaona wrote:

Hello Tony thank you for replying.

Ive just found out that the mystery cable I was talking about is a galvanic isolator, but it doesn't fit into the slot of the router, can I do anything with it?

PXL_20210901_132855568.jpg

remove the cap at the right hand side and add the isolator cable then connect to the hub - you do not need the isolator as the cable that came with the hub is an isolator cable - you need the connector ii linked to above but will do no harm to have 2 isolators - if it works you are up and running

EDIT just seen your new post - you need at least one isolator before the hub - the cable that came with the hub or the one you have

Tony.
Sacked VIP