Menu
adamdchequer
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Self installation issue affecting upload speeds

We have been experiencing issues with our upload speed since our self-installation. On the speed board, I've been informed that there are settings which need correcting and require an engineer to set right.

I have noticed the light on our Hub 3 is almost always yellow, and not white as well. I presume this is why. We are signed up to the M200 package and our download speeds are perfect, but our upload speeds rarely get above 1mbps. As an architect and graphic designer both working from home, we need to upload very files regularly to our work servers and we are tearing our hair out!

I've tried to book an engineer over the phone, no luck. I've tried to speak to someone on the web chat but you can wait for days and then when they do finally write back, you don't catch them in time. We really need someone to come out and rectify this please Virgin Media!

0 Kudos
Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Self installation issue affecting upload speeds

Hi Adam, thanks for contacting us and sorry for the delay in the reply. We have looked into this for you and can see that there is a fault in the area - F008587928. This is due to congestion on the network and the engineers are working to fix this. Chris

0 Kudos
adamdchequer
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your response. The upload speeds are going from bad to worse, do you have any idea when this issue will be resolved? I have less than 1mbps upload speeds and I deal with enormous files on a server which I have to share with other agencies and the upload speeds are severely affecting my ability to meet my deadlines and do my job effectively. 

0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I don't think it's congestion on the network as your downstream power levels are too high and this may be also causing errors, or the errors may be caused by interference or noise. 

However, until the fault in the area is fixed, Virgin won't send an engineer out, as that could be the cause of it all. 

0 Kudos
adamdchequer
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Ah yes, we have tried and failed to get them to send an engineer out because I had a feeling that the downstream power levels were in fact the problem rather than it being an area issue after speaking with MikeRobbo on the speed forum. And yes they refuse to send an engineer until the works are finished. This has been an issue for well over a month now! Furious doesn't even cover it.

0 Kudos
cje85
Trouble shooter
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Congestion can take months (if not years!) to resolve. They definitely used to send engineers for power level/SNR issues etc as these aren't caused by congestion, and can leave the user with a barely working connection 24/7 rather than just at peak times. 

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Superstar
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

As mentioned on the other thread, there is an issue with your installation, quite apart from the area congestion. The upstream modulation should be 64QAM and this will affect the upload speads.  You may be fortunate in getting this looked at before the area problem, but the local staff may be busy working on the wider issue as it will be affecting many more users.

You should understand that the Virgin Media service is intended for domestic use and is only supported as such. While you can use it for business, you must accept the risk that continuous connection is not guaranteed.  Virgin Business do offer connections with a guaranteed service level, which would probably be better suited to your use.  Or you might want to have an Openreach service as a backup.

0 Kudos
adamdchequer
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Yes thank you, I do understand that. Being in lockdown and having to work from home was the issue there, I would not usually be trying to deliver advertising campaigns off my home internet.

The issue as we see it is that we had joined VM for specifically for the advertised upload speeds because we knew that while the pandemic is running there are likely to be more work from home orders. So we are upset because we are paying for advertised 20mbps upload speeds and spend most of the time with less than 1mbps. And Virgin Media refuse to listen to the issue about incorrect modulations and keep fobbing us off. 

I really don't think it's beyond reason to ask for internet upload speeds that allow you to at least add jpegs to a google doc without trouble. Now I can get in to the office again, I can get my work done. But I'm still not happy to pay for a below par service at home, when I signed up for something far better.

0 Kudos