Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Self install

Hi, can anyone tell me what’s involved with self install. I am currently with VM and I am moving at the end of the week. I have tried many times to get in touch with VM but with no enjoy. The house that I am moving to already has VM connections so want to know if I can plug mine box and internet into it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Self install

Hi there,

So to successfully get your equipment working at another address you first need to confirm your move with Customer Care.

Also the equipment you have will only work within certain areas. They are all also assigned to specific nodes.

Basically meaning that you will get part service if you plug into an active VM point without confirming with Customer Service.

You can get a hold of our care team on 0345 454 1111.

Thanks,

Steve

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am a Virgin Media Field Technician currently working from home. All and any advice given is based on my experience in the field. If my answer was helpful to you please Mark as helpful or consider leaving the post some Kudos.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Did you know you can get £50 off your bill for referring friends and family to Virgin Media? Want to know more? Just drop me a message!

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hello,

If the property you are moving too has Virgin Media and has signal coming into the property and is in the same area code, then effectively yes you could except for telephone. The area ref you can find on your bill up the top. Are you moving locally or to a completely different postcode area?

With regards to a self install it is quite simple, you just connect your setup exactly as it is now! The coax cable screws into the wall socket and connects to your Hub/TV.

Here to help! I'm a technician helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

Why not try our text messaging service? It's a great way to get help with your services.

Just send your query to 07533051809 and we'll text you back.

We're open 8am - 8pm Monday to Friday, 8am - 5pm weekends.

If my post has helped you at all please mark it Helpful or give a Kudos, thanks!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@Steve_O1 wrote:

Also the equipment you have will only work within certain areas. They are all also assigned to specific nodes.

Basically meaning that you will get part service if you plug into an active VM point without confirming with Customer Service.

I think you mean that a still activated hub will work if connected to a live socket in another premise within the same area. On the day of the move the equipment should be deactivated and needs to be reactivated on the new account at the new address to work again. It's not about nodes which do conversion between optical and RF and know nothing about CPE.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Roger_Gooner,

Thank you for explaining what I had written in maybe more of a simple way to understand.

Also our Nodes do play a part in why equipment works in one area and not another. Otherwise we would be able to take our equipment all across the country with no issues for activation. So in reference to the Nodes, they do have relevance within this particular subject. They are not the solution though.

So simply, contact with Customer Services is the best bet when moving address.

Thank you for your help.

Regards,
Steve
I am a Virgin Media Field Technician currently working from home. All and any advice given is based on my experience in the field. If my answer was helpful to you please Mark as helpful or consider leaving the post some Kudos.
Did you know you can get £50 off your bill for referring friends and family to Virgin Media? Want to know more? Just drop me a message!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

@Roger_Gooner wrote:

@Steve_O1 wrote:

I think you mean that a still activated hub will work if connected to a live socket in another premise within the same area. On the day of the move the equipment should be deactivated and needs to be reactivated on the new account at the new address to work again. It's not about nodes which do conversion between optical and RF and know nothing about CPE.

...... how long before someone elaborates on “macdomains‘ in docsis 3.x Nodal context?  10 yrs as a “community ambassador,superabuser and variably intolerant poster” and still you all evade the obvious explanations due to middle/higher management politics..... :p)

Regards Tony
"Life is a Binary Inspired Turing Computed Hologram"(don't PM or @Mention me - in case ignoring you offends)
DEFROCKED