Menu
JLammy
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Self Start Miscommunication

Good morning,

Making this post to highlight the total meltdown of the commencement of our VM setup.

I initially contacted their customer service on I believe the 27th of January in order to get some broadband set up at a new flat I was due to move into on 12th February. This was of course my bill start date, also.

When asked, I explained this detail to the person helping my order go through and was told that they could get the Hub 3.0 and everything needed in the quick start kit delivered to, my then, current address, so I could bring the equipment with me, allowing me to get setup on day 1 of my move.

What was failed to be mentioned was that apparently you must plug in and setup the quick start kit within 24 hours of its delivery, otherwise you must then contact customer service and wait ~1 week for a technician to come out and then do it for you.

Not only that, but I was never sent the 'Welcome' email that was promised, containing important information that would allow me to at least access my VM account. I've been told I should now receive that email today after my long talk with customer service yesterday, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Also, when calling the VM helpline number, the automatic explanation for the lack of connection from my hub 3.0 is that there are improvements going on in my post code and that everything should be back to normal my 10:50... 2 days ago..

It's an enormous inconvenience, as not only do we miss out on nearly a week of the service I've paid for, I also have to find other means of connection to the internet for work. 

Not a single piece of what I've typed out here was explained to me during that initial call, otherwise I obviously would have chosen to get my Hub equipment delivered on the day I moved.

I still can't believe this is the case, so please let me know if there's anything else that can be done. I have 6 more days of waiting anyway.

0 Kudos
apcyberax
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Self Start Miscommunication

"What was failed to be mentioned was that apparently you must plug in and setup the quick start kit within 24 hours of its delivery, otherwise you must then contact customer service and wait ~1 week for a technician to come out and then do it for you."

Rubbish.
You can call in and activate the hub weeks or months later if needed. Who told you it had to be done in 24 hours

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

LittleMick73
Superstar
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi I feel your pain, its a well known fact that all virgins equipment is not only registered to a person but more importantly a permanent address so the call handler was ill advised to send to your old address, as you have found out it simply muddys the water, then it can be activated at the address in which its registered, hope you have some luck with it. Regards Micky
JLammy
Tuning in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@apcyberax wrote:

Rubbish.
You can call in and activate the hub weeks or months later if needed. Who told you it had to be done in 24 hours

I didn't believe it at all when I was first told last night either, so I rang up again, had someone else try a couple of things in their end and they told me the exact same thing.

If this is a new policy that's come into place within the last 2 weeks, I'll be surprised. It's the only thing that would have this make sense.

0 Kudos
JLammy
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for wishing luck. The employee sounded incredibly sure of themselves that this scenario would work, so it definitely made me second guess that I did something wrong.

Both customer service members yesterday sounded confused as to why I had the kit for 11 days before plugging it all in, so I guess you're absolutely right that it's not person based, but address based.

0 Kudos
jpeg1
Community elder
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

It's an enormous inconvenience, as not only do we miss out on nearly a week of the service I've paid for, I also have to find other means of connection to the internet for work.

Charging won't start until the service is connected.  And if you are relying on it for work, get yourself a backup service because continuous connection is not guaranteed on this residential service.

0 Kudos
JLammy
Tuning in
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@jpeg1 wrote:

Charging won't start until the service is connected.  And if you are relying on it for work, get yourself a backup service because continuous connection is not guaranteed on this residential service.

Good to know, love that I already received more information out of you than VM so far.

0 Kudos