Menu
oliviamoorcroft
Joining in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Self Installation and Engineer Needed

Hello,

I spoke to a great colleague on the phone on Wednesday night who helped me set up an account after having some issues with my address already being used incorrectly on another account. I am having a self-install kit delivered to my family home on Tuesday which will then be ready for me to take to my new flat on Wednesday. I was told on the phone due to the issues I had during set up that an engineer would be able to come out to me on Wednesday to help me set up my wifi as I do not think it is set up ready for the box currently. I was wondering how I can book this with an engineer for Wednesday.

0 Kudos
jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Re: Self Installation and Engineer Needed

You would have to attempt the install yourself and then after that you can request a technician if your not able to do it.

If you wanted a technician install a quick start package shoudnt be booked

0 Kudos
oliviamoorcroft
Joining in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

The person who set up my account on the phone automatically ordered me a self install quick start kit so that it could be delivered to my home address, I did tell him I needed an engineer but he let me know that I would be able to book an engineer slot within 24 hours after the kit arrived and the fees would be waived due to the issues I had setting up the account.

0 Kudos
stabilo00
Fibre optic
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Does the property you are going to have cable now ?
0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

sounds like you have got a load of helpful BS - or put another way - agree with whatever the potential customer wants to get the order and i assume commission 

as JB66 says above having booked a self install you should attempt the install - if it works great if not book a tech - as to waiting another day or two and hoping you can book one for wednesday - i dont think thats going to happen - you could ring again and change to an install if the system allows it - it may not

as to waiving fees - again thats maybe more tell you what you want to hear - if it was chat and you have it recorded then you can push but this all sounds like problems

best advice is wait for kit to arrive and attempt to install - why do you think its not going to work - if they have allowed self install then VM has been at the property before assuming you gae them the new address where the install is wanted

Tony
0 Kudos
oliviamoorcroft
Joining in
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

The two flats next door to me are fully set up, I think mine is ready to be installed however it is not fully ready as I do not have the actual cable box yet in my flat. 

0 Kudos
oliviamoorcroft
Joining in
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

It is coming up on the system that my flat has already been set up for Virgin however I have searched high and low and not found the set up box so it definitely isn’t there as far as I’m aware. May ring the quick start team today.

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

not all installs have an internal box

start outside and look for the external wall box - 6" square ish usually on wall facing road or pavement - brown or grey usually - follow any cables that come from it and go inside - if there are non look inside opposite external box as they may just have drilled through wall - as said it may just be a cable rather than an internal wall box

if you find a cable you need one of these to attach the cable that came with the quick start kit

https://www.diy.com/departments/tristar-data-cable-coupler/571706_BQ.prd

there may not be an outside box in flats or they may not be obvious but if the system has allowed quickstart then there has been a VM install there in the past

Tony
0 Kudos
oliviamoorcroft
Joining in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thank you. An engineer is coming out to me on Wednesday anyway now as I managed to get through to the quickstart team. It’s a tricky one as the flat I’m was previously one big flat which has been split into two so it’s making things awkward with wether or not it is set up for Virgin yet as it has just gone under a massive refurbishment. Thank you for your help anyway

0 Kudos
Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hello oliviamoorcroft

Sorry to hear this had happened

It's such a long winded approach t get address correct as we need to wait on Royal Mail etc to update with our billing systems etc

The main thing is its all sorted now 

I will check back with you on Wednesday to see how things are 

Gareth_L

0 Kudos