Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Security camera

I’m unable to connect a security camera to our WiFi (hub3).  It is not compatible with 5g and must be 2.4g   I’m at a loss and reluctant to mess about my hub as its working well atm. Help please!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Security camera

I think it will need you to mess about with your Hub.

If you are not confident enough to do it (with help from on here) a VM tech will do it for you. Either call it in or better still wait until a VM person picks this up on here - can take a day or three.

Whilst waiting, use a wireless networks scanning App on your mobile phone to look at the 2.4 GHz SSID's that are detectable whilst your phone is right next to the camera location.  Can you see your own network?  What other 2.4 networks can you see and are they using the same channel number as yours?

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I can see one other virgin network - not sure re channel. R

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

As many people do, including myself, you can split your SSID (Network Name) into two, one for 2.4G, and one for 5G:

Just add '_2G' and '_5G' to the existing names, then apply changes.

You'll need to reconnect all your wireless devices since the SSID name will change.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Robyn1003 wrote:

A decent scanning App will say what the channel number is - it will also show their respective strengths with the strongest (best) at the top (in dBm).  If yours doesn't try another one.  Can you see your 2.4 network - is it top of the list - what's its dBm compared to the others?

Then try as per Carl says... I would also disable "channel optimisation" at the same time - I'm not sure which "page" of the settings that's on - but it is there !

--------------------
John
--------------------

My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@jbrennand wrote:

@Robyn1003 wrote:

A decent scanning App will say what the channel number is - it will also show their respective strengths with the strongest (best) at the top (in dBm).  If yours doesn't try another one.  Can you see your 2.4 network - is it top of the list - what's its dBm compared to the others?

Then try as per Carl says... I would also disable "channel optimisation" at the same time - I'm not sure which "page" of the settings that's on - but it is there !

Wireless Signal:

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you so much for your helpful reply. Camera now connected. I was about to return it as faulty.  Company customer service very poor but I’m glad i checked online and saw it was a common problem.  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Robyn1003 wrote:

Thank you so much for your helpful reply. Camera now connected. I was about to return it as faulty.  Company customer service very poor but I’m glad i checked online and saw it was a common problem.  

The HUB tries its best to work for all scenarios, however sometimes 'legacy' devices require a little help!

0 Kudos