Menu
IvanM1
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Second TiVo box and WiFi with distance!

Hi, I’m building a studio (with separate fuse box to rest of house) in our 100ft garden and want a second TiVo box and working WiFi in it. Existing WiFi from Hub 3 does not reach the location. Is there a simple Virgin Media solution like getting the engineer to run the cable to the studio for the TiVo box with a second Hub or router to provide the WiFi?  Thanks for any comments.

0 Kudos
BumbleVMTech
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Second TiVo box and WiFi with distance!

Hi, would need to run ethenet to the bottom of garden and a separate access point for wifi.  When you run ducting for your cabling put an extra draw cord for us to pull coax in for TiVo

Regards

Rich

Here to help! I'm a Field Technician helping out from home.

Find out more REFER A FRIEND AND SHARE £100 BETWEEN YOU

****************** ASK ME HOW ******************
0 Kudos
IvanM1
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Sorry to be a dimwit but run an Ethernet (?cat 5/6 cable) from existing Hub 3 to studio? What is a ‘separate access point’ for wifi? Where is a good place to get ducting and draw cord? This sounds over and above my capabilities. Would a VM engineer be able to do all of this for me and charge accordingly.

0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Surely you already have ducting and draw cords to get the electric cables to your new studio? Although not ideal the other cables can go in the same ducting. Just leave the coax for the vm tech to pull through.

You would nerd to setup the additional access point yourself but it's pretty easy. Here's an example one https://www.ebuyer.com/732415-asus-rt-ac88u-ai-mesh-dual-band-ac3100-gigabit-router-rt-ac88u

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Legend
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

You need an Ethernet cable to be also run to the studio, best terminated at an RJ45 wall socket. Connect a network switch to the socket and plug into the switch the TiVo, wireless access point and any other devices.

It's best to use external-grade cable inside a conduit and buried by digging a trench.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
VM-Jon
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

In plain English.

You run a ethernet cable from the sockets on the back of your hub down to your studio. On the other end you plug on a small device called an Access point, it looks like a router. This just changes that ethernet cable back into wifi.  This allows you then to use your main hubs internet down there.
Hope that makes sense?

Here to help! I'm an install manager helping out whilst working from home. Find out more

IvanM1
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks VM install manager. That dummies guide to my query makes sense. So all I’ve got to do is get 100 ft of Ethernet cable, put it into ducting with a draw string. Bury this down to my studio (not built yet) and connect the Ethernet cable to an Access point (to buy from say Amazon). Then arrange the VM engineer to call to feed his cable through the ducting with draw string to connect to new TiVo box and voila! We have our second TiVo with WiFi in my studio. Sounds simples and I’ll have a crack at it. Thanks again and I’ll let you know if it all works out. 

0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Since your going 100ft outside I'd go for higher quality cat6 cable rather than cat5. It'll be more reliable. 

0 Kudos
IvanM1
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Finally built annex and ran 'CAT6 outdoor' cable though buried conduit. Unfortunately the cable with RJ45 got stuck in the wall of the annex and could not be pulled though! Eventually managed to get some of the cable through but had to chop off the RJ45 end and leave it in the wall.

The question is: when I arrange Virgin Media technician to run their cable for the TiVo box to the annex can he fit a RJ45 to the end of the CAT6 or do I have to get some other internet person to do it?

Thanks

Frustrated Ivan!

0 Kudos
DJ_Shadow1966
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello

I am afraid that the engineers can only work on the coaxial cable they do not deal with Ethernet cables they do not have the equipment, you will have to either do it yourself or pay a 3rd party to do it best bet is to find a local small computer shop to come out and do it for you.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos