Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Second ISP

Hello, this may well be a stupid question but some people are telling me I can do it and some are saying it’s not possible. 

We currently have sky broadband in our house which is poor. I’m looking to get my own network from Virgin Media that only I can use for gaming purposes.

is it possible to do this?  Any help would be appreciated! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Hero
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Second ISP

VM uses its own cables, so no problem is getting their service. Note that the latency isn't the best.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Of course you could because VM use their own physical connections, so if VM can lay a cable to the property then you could have both.

However, because VM offer far greater bandwidth than is needed for gaming, but VM latency is inherently worse than most Openreach connections, it normally makes more sense to use a dedicated Openreach connection for gaming and have general household use on the VM line.  

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Just to confirm my own and Roger_Gooner's comments on latency, here's a chart of a relative's cheap Openreach connection:

My Broadband Ping - Bretforton

You can compare that to Roger's unusually good BQM, or you could take a look at my own BQM from the other day:

My Broadband Ping - VM number 2

The red bits are where my hub was switched off by timer, but the "normal service" is pretty skanky.  Are you really sure you want to join VM?  Bandwidth is great, latency is very variable, customer service is appalling, and once you're out of your introductory discount the prices are high.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Cheers mate! 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 6