cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running cable to VM box via crawl space or attic

sasl
Joining in

I want to move the white VM terminal box in my house to a cupboard away from an external wall. I understand I need to arrange a no-fault engineer call-out for £25, but I want to check whether the engineer will allow me to route the cable to the new location via my crawl space or attic. I don't want to run an ugly cable along skirting boards in the living space and would rather like to route the cable via the subfloor or attic. I don't expect the engineer to go under my floor boards or into my attic on my behalf but I'm willing to go down/up there to do it when they're here. They'll just need to drill a hole and feed me the cable and I'll do the rest. Is this something they would be willing to do?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Timwilky
Fibre optic

I was able to do this with my install back in Telewest days,  initial tv coax goes through crawl space, (I dragged it, he fed it) router is in loft (Floored) so I installed draw string in eaves, and again pulled and he fed.

No Issues until I needed a router upgrade and got we are not allowed to climb loft ladders but relented and an additional second floor TV install where he said he couldn't go that high on ladders so I drilled the wall hole and fed his cable and he connected inside whilst I cliped external.

Work with the installers for awkward requirements pre install draw wires to your required locations. that way you get a quick neat install that is in your preferreed locations, no ugly cable etc. 

Hub4/Gig1-> pfSense->Microtik CRS312/CSS326/CRS305->Meshed Asus RT-AX89X
VM Network - Timwilky

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

3 REPLIES 3

Timwilky
Fibre optic

I was able to do this with my install back in Telewest days,  initial tv coax goes through crawl space, (I dragged it, he fed it) router is in loft (Floored) so I installed draw string in eaves, and again pulled and he fed.

No Issues until I needed a router upgrade and got we are not allowed to climb loft ladders but relented and an additional second floor TV install where he said he couldn't go that high on ladders so I drilled the wall hole and fed his cable and he connected inside whilst I cliped external.

Work with the installers for awkward requirements pre install draw wires to your required locations. that way you get a quick neat install that is in your preferreed locations, no ugly cable etc. 

Hub4/Gig1-> pfSense->Microtik CRS312/CSS326/CRS305->Meshed Asus RT-AX89X
VM Network - Timwilky

Sounds good! I hope the Virgin engineers are equally helpful compared to your Telewest ones. Do you happen to know if the engineers bring a ladder? I don't have one and if I opt to go the attic route they'd need to get up to my eves outside to drill a hole under the roof. It's a bungalow at least so isn't very high. If they won't do that I'll have to get a ladder!

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Probably your best bet is to install a pull cord along the route so a technician can just attach the coax and pull it through where you want.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2