cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router wrong place

Wez2025
Dialled in

Hi, just moved home and brought my hub with me , all complete 

Only to find out that I put the router in the wrong place for the ethernet cat6 wall socket connection.

Example :

Room 1 : virgin face plates , 3 cat 6 ethernet sockets all in one 

Room 2  : where router is now installed  with 1 cat6 port next to it 

Room 3 and 4 : have 1cat6 port in each room 

Plugging the router into the living room cat6 does nothing and does not activate any sockets 

Then I realised Room 1 with the 3 sockets  obviously are the main socket to activate the individual ones in other room 

I just paid for an engineer etc and moving so I don't really want to spend money can anyone help here 

Thanks 

6 REPLIES 6

jb66
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You can pay £25 for VM to come out again to relocate the hub, this probably is the best option and is best value.

Alternatively you can buy a gigabit switch and put that in Room 1 to join all the cables up

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-SG105S-Ethernet-Lifetime-Warranty/dp/B07HP5TN4S/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_s...

Virginmedia charge £100 to relocate socket router

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Hi @Wez2025 

You will only be charged £25.

The cost for relocating services/equipment was reduced from £99 to £25 in August 2021.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Very strange I had engineer visit Tuesday Friday this week he told me it's £100 charge? 

It used to be £99 for a non fault call out. VM reduced it some time ago to £25 regardless of what needs doing.

Probably your engineer never got the memo - also it’s not entirely unheard of for VM employees to not actually know how the company works😉

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Posidon 

I'm afraid that the engineer has given you incorrect information. They probably haven't been updated with the charges as their job is on the technical and not billing side.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali