Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router sticker unreadable!

jimthing
Superfast

So just got my Hub 5 router, and this is the lacklustre sticker on the bottom: 

IMG_0856 copy 2.jpg

What's wrong you wonder... take a close look at the Hub Settings password, and you'll see the printing has deliberately been made to cut-through the last character of the password! Meaning I cannot change any settings on the router as I cannot login to the damn thing!? 

Oh, so why not keep trying all possible letters/LETTERS/numbers for that possibly last digit?... Because after a few attempts it stops you from trying another (despite resetting on base or clearing several different browser's cookies!) for several minutes between attempts (5mins, then 10mins, then 20mins, etc) – i.e. not worth bothering with, unless you have hours of time with nothing else to do in your day. 

Really bravo Virgin Media, you've really outdone yourselves with this complete and utter omnishambles. 👏

Does no one at VM bother to do quality checks on your equipment labelling before they are sent out to customers, or are we supposed to be mucked-around even further waiting for an engineer to come around with a replacement router, compared to other ISP's who can remotely login to their routers and give customers the router device passwords via phone. 

You couldn't make these problems up, if it wasn't the expected type of behaviour we get from VM now. 🙄

6 REPLIES 6

carl_pearce
Community elder

I'm going to guess at a lower case x.

nope: tried that. 😑

Client62
Legend

VM do not appear to keep lists of the Hub Password info,  A replacement device should be requested.

A new tip to us all to check the label is printed properly before accepting the Hubs.

Hi @jimthing 

Thanks for posting and welcome back to the community.

Sorry to see what's happened with the router.

I can see from checking the system we have booked a collection/exchange with you already since the post.

Please do let us know how the new router is.

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

goslow
Alessandro Volta

Try a lower case t

Hard to tell but a bit of tweaking of your image appears to show the ghost outline of a cross shape at the top of the missing character space

If no good, time for a new hub.

@goslow wrote:

Try a lower case t

Hard to tell but a bit of tweaking of your image appears to show the ghost outline of a cross shape at the top of the missing character space

Try a lower case t

Hard to tell but a bit of tweaking of your image appears to show the ghost outline of a cross shape at the top of the missing character space.

I didn't have time in the end to try it given the extended time-outs between attempts, mainly as I had...you know...more important things like work to do with my online time, rather than fix this. So I just left it until today's swap-out. Thanks anyway for trying. 

The VM engineer arrived an hour ago and we swapped Hub 5's – this one with an actual readable label. Amazeballs!