Menu
Alla_2020
Tuning in
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Router makes high pitched noise with high speed Internet

Hi, 

Our router VM Hub 3,0 began to make an annoying, high pitched metallic noise after our Internet speed was upgraded from 100MB to 350MB. The sound gets stronger by the evening and unbearable. After sleep with such a sound I wake up with noise in my ears in the morning, and it's hard for me to focus on my work for the 1st hours of the day.

Switching power off and then back didn't change it, but there was no that annoying high pitched sound when the router was completely off.

The challenge is that my housemates can't hear this sound, admitting that they are not sensitive people, and some don't believe me.

But I am a sensitive person, 
love the nature, art, and I'm so tormented by this metallic high pitched noise just to tears, especially after a night with it! And I have no reason to make it up!

Please help me and advise what I can do. Our router is about 2 years old. Do all Virgin routers make this auful high pitched noise noise with high speed Internet?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Pars
Superfast
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Router makes high pitched noise with high speed Internet

Could the noise be coming from the power supply rather than the hub?
Some people are sensitive to the switching frequency.
M350 over FTTP
Alla_2020
Tuning in
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Pars, I tried to disconnect the black cable (the power supply) from router but the high pitched metallic sound didn't stop. 

It only stopped when I disconnected and the white cable from the router. So I think the noise is made by the router, but I don't know much about routers and Wi-Fi... 

0 Kudos
Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hey Alla_2020 and welcome to community.

I can tell you that this isn't normal behavior from one of our hubs, there shouldn't be much sound at all from the hub.

Is the hub overheating, when its making this noise? Is it in a well ventilated area and out of any cupboards?

Regards

Steven_L

0 Kudos
Alla_2020
Tuning in
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi Steven_L,

Thank you for your reply. I so hope that you will be able to help me!

No, the hub is not overheating, and it's in a spacious room on the dresser.

Now our hub constantly makes this high pitched metallic noise, after our Internet speed was upgraded on 23/05/2020, just it can be annoying or unbearable (like for the last few hours) depending on the speed of the Internet as I noticed.

Usually the noise gets worse in the evening and at night, and after sleep in such a terrible noise, in the morning I need to stay 30-60 minutes in the kitchen and garden before I feel good again, and the high pitched metallic noise will disappear from my ears.

Last night I asked my housemates to switch off Internet and remove both cables from the hub for a night to check where the sound was coming from, and there was no a high pitched metallic sound, and I woke up full of energy, and in perfect health.

I don't know how the hub and Wi-Fi work, but I've been living in this house for nearly six years and this has never happened before.

Please, help me, I can't work properly and sleep healthy in this noise.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for getting back to us Alla_2020,

Not great to hear you're ears are still ringing for a good hour after, this could be to do with the hubs power cable. 

I've arranged to send you new one, this should be with you within 5 days 🙂

Alex_Rm

0 Kudos
Alla_2020
Tuning in
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Alex_Rm for your reply. 

I'm truly grateful that you're looking for a way to help me to stop the high pitched metallic noise from the router, and sent the new hub's power cable. 

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi Alla_2020,

We're always happy to help out 🙂

Let us know how you get on once you received the new power cable.

Kind regards,

Beth

0 Kudos
Sjames16
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Mine is doing the same thing. Please help!

0 Kudos
Alla_2020
Tuning in
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Hi Sjames16,

It was helpful to change the power cable of hub. + Have a small break after every 2 hours work on laptop, computer and/or mobile phone. 

Hope it will help you. 

Alla 

0 Kudos