Menu
Fawcett90
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Router DHCP Lease

Hi All

IM just curious to see what virgin media lease time is for an assigned public ip address, Im aware the lease will expire after so long but if that device is still connected it would normally get the same mac address

What i notice is if i change my 3rd party mac address via my wifi router i can get a new IP address assigned from VM - My question is how long will it be before my old ip address i used to have will be put back in the pool for someone else to use?

0 Kudos
jem101
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Router DHCP Lease

Seven days I believe.

0 Kudos
Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Why would you want to change your external WAN IP address?  Normally VM IP's a quite sticky even though they are DHCP.

I hope by releasing your old IP into the pool it's not going to bring a world of pain to whoever gets it 😉

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Fawcett90
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Ive noticed 1 or 2 services saying the ip address was blocked, so i changed the mac address to get a new dynamic ip on my wifi router and was able to get back onto them services with no issues.

i was just curious thats all on how long the res is held for

0 Kudos
Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

My IP address changed a few weeks ago, due to reconfiguration, and the old address went straight back into the pool. My monitoring script noticed it and when it went to change my Thinkbroadband display I could see the old one was still active. I think it depends on how many free address there are at the local ‘headend’.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Fawcett90 wrote:

Ive noticed 1 or 2 services saying the ip address was blocked, so i changed the mac address to get a new dynamic ip on my wifi router and was able to get back onto them services with no issues.<snip>

This was exactly my point. Just hope whoever gets your old IP will not be using the same services .....

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
legacy1
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Adduxi wrote:

@Fawcett90 wrote:

Ive noticed 1 or 2 services saying the ip address was blocked, so i changed the mac address to get a new dynamic ip on my wifi router and was able to get back onto them services with no issues.<snip>

This was exactly my point. Just hope whoever gets your old IP will not be using the same services .....

Lets face it them service and VM plus routing to a given services can take their time to fix the reason why its not working in the first place.  

---------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos