Menu
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Rolling Service Request in Track My Order

Hi all,

Since joining VM, I've had a rolling service request under Track My Order. I later learned that this was meant to be engineers coming out to look at the cabling and it was due to take place before I moved house at some point in late July.

Ever since then, this appointment has rolled over. It's currently showing as 14-Aug (today) when my installation is due on 20-Aug.

I've been messaging the team via the app as trying to get through to anybody via telephone is almost impossible. They described this appointment as a "pre-pull", which I'm guessing has something to do with pulling cables to the house.

Yesterday, my wife spotted some guys (from an unmarked van) feeding yellow cable into a small manhole at the end of our drive. Does this mean my pre-pull has taken place and, if so, why does the service request still show as happening today?

I can't see any cabling around my new property, but there is a brown box behind a bush out front that looks like it connects to a phone socket by my TV. Is this all that is needed?

I'm concerned that my installation may be delayed or that the guy will show up and things won't be ready (reading this forum makes you so paranoid haha). The communication from VM has been pretty non-existent, which may be understandable given the pandemic.

I'm really struggling without broadband since moving, especially with having to work from home, so if my installation is delayed I may have to switch provider to somebody that can come out quicker. It would be good to know what's happening and if there's any way to find out.

Thanks!

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 2 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Re: Rolling Service Request in Track My Order

I should add that the brown box isn't new, it was there before joining VM. Nothing new has been connected to it.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Well-informed
Message 3 of 23
Flag for a moderator

You normally get a text at the end of the day if the pre-pull has been successful or not. 

Also, there should be a Virgin Media Tee at the end of your drive where they have pulled the cable through, before it entered your property. You might want to see if there's a cable in there, and if so, see where it goes. 

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for replying.

I didn't receive any texts, but then I haven't received any since joining.

I've checked the small, CATV hole at the end of my drive that they appeared to be putting something down, but can't see any evidence of cables there. Perhaps they were just checking for blockages or something.

If there was an issue, would they tell me or just push back my install date? How soon does the pre-pull need to be undertaken prior to the install? Assuming there aren't any issues, I guess it could maybe happen the day before? The rolling service request is really disconcerting, but perhaps I'm worrying over nothing.

Highlighted
Well-informed
Message 5 of 23
Flag for a moderator

If the date on your account just keeps changing that's a good sign - because if they've found a blockage it normally changes to "NaN" for some strange reason, indicating the dates are no longer valid, or your actual install date changes. So it's looking good so far. The pull can happen on the day even. 

Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 23
Flag for a moderator

That's good to know. Thanks.

The service request has ticked over to today's date, so I'll keep my fingers crossed somebody comes out before my install.

As that day gets closer and the pre-pull work order lingers, I still can't help but feel apprehensive. You've put my mind at ease a little though.

So, between the CATV tee and the house, there's a lawn and a small section of block paving. I'm guessing the pre-installation team will run the cable from the tee to the house and have to dig that all up? Or does the fact I already have some form of brown box (that I think goes to an Openreach socket) mean there's already an underground pathway to the house they can take?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Three full days left until install day and the pre-pull service request is still rolling over. I know the pre-pull is done by contractors, but you think they'd be able to give you a firmer date.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mister_TC,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community, once we have been informed the pre-pull is done we are then able to do the install.

Regards

Paul.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, Paul, but will the pre-pull be done before my current installation date? It's looking less and less likely. What did the team come out to do the other day and why haven't they been back since? Is it because there's a problem or because everything is fine? The lack of communication and clarity from VM is a real killer.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 23
Flag for a moderator

The pre-pull would be done before the install yes 🙂

Please do let us know how the install goes

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos