Menu
Rodtheplod
Dialled in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Returning broadband router

Hi there - my post is very similar to a post I've just seen on the forum, but from the other angle! The post I saw was this one.

Basically, I moved out of my property a month ago. My new property isn't served by Virgin Media, so I cancelled my VM account. I was told that I would have to send back the router, but I advised the person I spoke to that I no longer live at the property - they said that they would still send a pre-paid pack for the new user to return the router.

Unfortunately, the pre-paid pack turned up at my new house! (as it had been re-directed by Royal Mail). I went online and ordered a new pack - but this time I didn't put my name on the form - instead I added "The Homeowner" in place of my name thinking that would stop the re-direction. Unfortunately, the second pack was delivered to my new address a few days ago - with my name on it - doh! Seems like the VM system automatically added my name even though I left it off on the form.

The VM Media Equipment Returns email address is a "no reply" one. Same with the SMS number that they txt me on. So I can't get in touch with that team to let them know.

Can one of the mods on here help me? Basically the returns pack should be addressed to the new owner (I don't know their name) and not me.

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Returning broadband router

you know the address - can you not just send one of the packs to the new owner with a note saying whats happened and asking them to send the router back

what you are asking seems simple but getting that across to VM might be difficult - anything out of the ordinary can cause problems as you have found out

Tony
Rodtheplod
Dialled in
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Tony - yes that's actually a good idea. I just thought that Virgin Media would come across this scenario often and be able to send the pack out to "the homeowner" instead of the name on the cancelled account.

But you're right - I'll put one of these return packs in the post together with a note.

Thanks for the assistance!

0 Kudos
newapollo
Hero
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi Rodtheplod,

Have you tried the following link which allows you order returns packing to be sent to another address? request-returns-pack 

The first part of the form asks for your account number and surname,  the second part doesn't have a name section just the address - not sure if VM would add your name to the returns packaging though

Dave

The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali
Rodtheplod
Dialled in
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi Dave,

Yes - that's the form I used last week. I put "The Homeowner" in the Last Name field, but the package turned up at my new house a few days back with my full name, so they try to add a bit of intelligence to that process. But it's too intelligent for its own good! 😊

It's cool, though, I've just drafted a note and popped it into the package they sent me. I've put "The New Homeowners" with my old address on there so the Royal Mail re-direct shouldn't kick in, and I'll pop it in the post in the morning. Fingers crossed!

Thanks again for the replies - much appreciated!

Rodtheplod
Dialled in
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

<sigh> 

Can one of the mods on here DM me about this?

I sent the package to the new owners a couple of weeks back with a note asking them to send the router back to VM. But this morning I've got an email from Virgin Media saying that they haven't received the router, and that they will be charging me £100 for it.

The email is a 'no reply' email, so I can't get back to them. And the text messages that they sent me also can't be replied to.

0 Kudos
Martin_N
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hi Rodtheplod,

Thank you for your post. 

We can private message you but if the new tenant haven't sent the equipment back then there isn't much that we can do concerning this. 

Are you able to contact the landlord of the previous property to see if you can get this resolved?

^Martin

0 Kudos
Rodtheplod
Dialled in
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply. Contacting the new owner of the property other than what I've already done is not really an option. I've moved away and don't have their email, telephone, etc. My only option is to contact them via the letter and package that I sent them.

Martin, can you not contact your internal VM Media Equipment Returns team and pass my details to them? Maybe to ask them to pause charging me for now, and/or to ask them to contact me via email to discuss? All of the contacts I have from their emails and text messages are of the "no response" type, so I can't initiate a response to them.

0 Kudos
Chris_W1
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

HI Rodtheplod, thanks for the message and we are sorry to hear that you are having trouble with the router, do you still have this in your possession or have you now been able to return this? We should be able to change the bill to address so that you can return the equipment ^Chris

0 Kudos
Rodtheplod
Dialled in
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Chris - no I don't have the router. It was left in my old house when I moved out at the end of July. Stupidly, I thought that all I had to do was cancel my Virgin Media account, and that I wouldn't need to do anything else. But then I started getting emails and txt messages from your team asking me to return the router else they'll charge me £100. But I can't return it as I no longer have access to it! (I've moved a fair distance away). And those emails/txt messages are of the "no reply" type, so I can't tell your team that I no longer have access to it 🙂

I did post the returns package to the new owners with a polite letter asking them to put the router in the freepost package and send it to you, but it seems they haven't done that yet. 

I guess I should have taken the router with me when I moved out, and then I could have sent it to you. But I didn't think of that beforehand...

0 Kudos