Menu
MsOtis
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Return visit please after temp repair

Last Sat 12th Dec: To SW19 3DP  jolly nice VM tech visited and temp fixed my broadband . Condemned very old co-ax under floor connection. Replaced with new but now just temp running across the floor. Service restored

Makes no sense to have a VM tech lifting flooring to rerun co-ax cable. I need to keep service running while I run the cable under floor in preparation for VM tech to terminate   cable PLEASE 

1. Drop off 15m of co-ax cable to my home So I can run under floor 

2. Advise contact for VM tech to revisit and terminate/ test replacement under floor cable when I am ready  

3. Please advise costs if any. The old under floor cable worked fine for many years 

THANKS  Phil  SW193DP to trace me. or reply and I will supply my acc number / email address ( blueyonder)  

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: Return visit please after temp repair

They wont supply you with cable. What we normally suggest is that you run some conduit tubing under the floors from where you want it to go and from. Put in there some "pull ropes" (strong string!) so the VM tech can pull the co-ax through when they return.

Normal charge for a non fault call out is £99 but when you call in to book it you might be able to get it waived if you argue it was agreed as a temporary install.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
MsOtis
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hello John  thankyou but I hope you are not speaking on behalf  VM  tech support 

Come in VM Official tech support please: HELP 

It is completely impractical/ cost huge  to take up the entire two floors areas and run conduit . NO I have to lift the two extremes and then pull through

So The responsibility for cable function is all mine. I only want tech to terminate the ends and if need be check me out. 10 mins tops If it doesnt work that's solely my problem

THAT can only be fulfilled IF I have the proprietary VM co ax cable .Spec appears to be top secret RG6 ?? 

So Virgin Media :  Please supply me with 15m of such cable or tell me where to buy it ?  How say you ?. VM vans are in this area all the time  I will pay for the cable. I am a long standing customer  So lets be fair with each other 

thanks P

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 4 of 20
Flag for a moderator

VM will not install under the floors and they will not use any cable you install yourself. Why can't you run the cable you have under the floor?
0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 20
Flag for a moderator

john should have said the dont like supplying cable - you need VM staff here to pick the thread up and see if they can get an area manager to drop some off - not easy and you will have to keep pushing

cost not sure - if its now working all be it a bit crude they may want £99 for a non fault callout - thats assuming you can get them to supply the cable

Tony
0 Kudos
MsOtis
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Thankyou:  simply I cant afford to lose the connection for the indeterminate time its going to take me to lift floors and pull a new cable through 

With the added downfall it may not work / or get snagged  damaged who knows. Need to prove the new under floor connection first before remove current temp. Hnec I lay teh cable VM comes to approve / test whatever. 

I can bear yet another waiting hours on the phone to contact virgin again.  Can someone official for Virgin pick  this up please 

cant surely be the only one. I dont mind waiting. The original guy that turned up I know would have been helpful if I had thought to ask at the time .   

NEED THAT CABLE 15m Anyone want to sell me that ?  P

0 Kudos
MsOtis
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 20
Flag for a moderator

thanks tony  Just fingers crossed then VM staff will pick up and negotiate with me. Cant see they have anything to lose ?

0 Kudos
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 8 of 20
Flag for a moderator

"Cant see they have anything to lose ?"

Damage cable or badly install cable can inject noise into the network and takedown services for the area. Everyone is connected to the same cable in the area.

As you said you can't risk the downtime in case you snagged or damage the cable.

No installer is going to want to sign off someone else's work that they can not see.

0 Kudos
MsOtis
On our wavelength
Message 9 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hello Virgin Media Manager wimbledon area .... Come in Tokyo ??  

All I want for Christmas is 15m of unterminated virgin broadband co ax cable. So I can tidy up your temp repair with the cable running under the floor not taped on top of the floor . 

Come on Virgin You used to be the " can do "  company.. Been with you for fifteen years dont give me small print now. Replacing flooring is not your business nor do you want be hanging around in a C-19 emergency while its being done ?  I cant start without that cable ? 

VM Catch 22 ?  : You need our cable to connect special spec. / You cant buy it yourself top secret : VM only supply under the counter  ??  

Once I have that cable run I will ask for a tech visit to terminate it and check if needed. Frustrating I have time NOW  to get that floor up   

0 Kudos
Brava210
Fibre optic
Message 10 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Just saying, you can buy the correct cable by searching a well known Auction site

Virgin BB 200, Hub 3, 3 x V6, TP-Link Deco AX20 x1, M5 x2 - United Artists/Telewest/VM Since 1990
0 Kudos