Menu
darkside467
Tuning in
Message 1 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Retro Phone

Is it possible to use an old rotary dial phone connected to a hub 3? I believe there is an adapter available if so does anyone know where I could purchase one? 

0 Kudos
paul0363
Rising star
Message 2 of 14
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Retro Phone

You need one of these, although I'm not sure if the hub supports pulse rather than tone dialiing - you could just connect the phone and see if it works! (Also assuming that your phone has a BT plug attached and wasn't "hard wired" into a junction box)

It needs to be connected to the uppermost phone socket on the hub.

Have you got a landline service from Virgin?  That needs to be active on your hub before you can plug a phone in.

If you log into your hub you should see this on the welcome page with telephony "ready" (if you're in router mode then same applies and wifi will likely show as enabled also - my hub is in modem mode but telephony works in either router or modem mode):

tel.png

0 Kudos
darkside467
Tuning in
Message 3 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the speedy response, 

my router is set up for telephony and I already have a more modern phone plugged in.I just like the look and feel of the old dial phones. 
I have plugged one in and I have a ring tone and can dial out, it just doesn’t ring when you call the home number. Thinking my old phone may be defunct and I might need a new old phone or there is a connection missing somewhere in the wiring 

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 4 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Does the phone connect to incoming call on the old number ?

Don't forget that one of the wires on a phone plug is the voltage for the ringer.

Doesn't a phone using the broadband use a VOIP phone number ?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
paul0363
Rising star
Message 5 of 14
Flag for a moderator

It won't ring as the old phones needed a "ring capacitor" (which is contained in the master socket). Newer phones don't need this and the hub doesn't provide the ring capacitor.

There's nothing wrong with the phone!!

One of these should sort you out!

0 Kudos
darkside467
Tuning in
Message 6 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi there

The phone will ring out and receive calls while plugged into the router, just no sound on incoming calls, 

0 Kudos
MikeRobbo
Alessandro Volta
Message 7 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Is that ring sound or voice volume ?

*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
BT Smart Hub 2 with 70Mbs Download,18Mbs Upload, 9.17ms Latency & 0.35ms Jitter.
0 Kudos
darkside467
Tuning in
Message 8 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply I have ordered one so will hopefully be up and running in a couple of days

0 Kudos
Poverc
Joining in
Message 9 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi, did you have any success with this?

I'm having the same problem.  Are you in the UK? 

Thanks,

Chris. 

0 Kudos
darkside467
Tuning in
Message 10 of 14
Flag for a moderator

Hi Chris, I managed to sort this and now enjoy the rather retro ringing of the phone everytime some calls. I am in the uk, I bought a kit on line which sorted all the issues I had! 

0 Kudos