cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reset Network Problem

richard49
Up to speed

I was having slow internet connection on my Windows 10 laptop so (unfortunately) reset my network.

I now have no VM network showing up under 'Network' and can't find a way to re-install it.

Might you be able to advise what to do as I can't find anything on the Virgin website that helps?

Any advice would be helpful.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@richard49 wrote:

Sorry to have taken a long time to get back to you.

As I had the problem mentioned I thought that I'd restore the computer to an earlier restore date but that went south very quickly....

<snip>

Thanks again everyone who took the time to respond, it is appreciated.

Depending on the specs of your laptop, you could have a look at some of the free backup/imaging programs to help restore a laptop back to a known condition very quickly.

I have used 'Macrium Reflect Free' for a long time (but sadly no longer free from Jan 2024)

and am now evaluating 'Paragon Backup & Recovery Community Edition' (currently free) as a replacement

With a USB3 connection on the laptop, and backing up to a USB3 external hard drive, the entire laptop can be restored to a basic build of Windows from an image in about 5 to 10 minutes (via a bootable USB pen drive).

I often make an image before any major computer hardware/software changes so that if the changes go wrong I can go back to the previous setup very quickly.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

9 REPLIES 9

goslow
Alessandro Volta

What do you mean when you say no VM network showing up under 'Network' ?

If you are trying to make a wi-fi connection and can see the hub's SSID, follow the Windows 10 video here

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/broadband/connect-devices

If you can no longer see the VM SSID, this may be because the W10 network reset has reinstalled your network card drivers.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Or did you reset the networking on your laptop and have disabled the wifi on the laptop ?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

As I had the problem mentioned I thought that I'd restore the computer to an earlier restore date but that went south very quickly....

I ended up in a never ending loop and ended up restoreing the laptop to the factory settings which after re-instaiing windows and all of the updates associated with it it took just over a full day to get back to where I was started; a working laptop that connects tot he Internet.

I didn't mind doing it as I think that after a few years of use it does the laptop good to have a 'clearout'.

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Glad you got it sorted and it's all working.

Agree with the refresh of Windows!  🙂

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

With lots of Windows problems I gave up on Microsoft 2 years ago all for the better.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@richard49 wrote:

<snip>

Depending on the specs of your laptop, you could have a look at some of the free backup/imaging programs to help restore a laptop back to a known condition very quickly.

I have used 'Macrium Reflect Free' for a long time (but sadly no longer free from Jan 2024)

and am now evaluating 'Paragon Backup & Recovery Community Edition' (currently free) as a replacement

With a USB3 connection on the laptop, and backing up to a USB3 external hard drive, the entire laptop can be restored to a basic build of Windows from an image in about 5 to 10 minutes (via a bootable USB pen drive).

I often make an image before any major computer hardware/software changes so that if the changes go wrong I can go back to the previous setup very quickly.

I'll make a not of that for making an image before any major computer hardware/software changes

Thanks

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@goslow  and @richard49  

I have been using this for years across different kit and it works great. I even keep images on a USB drive for relatives kit. It’s also free…..

https://www.veeam.com/agent-for-windows-community-edition.html

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@Adduxi wrote:

@goslow  and @richard49  

I have been using this for years across different kit and it works great. I even keep images on a USB drive for relatives kit. It’s also free…..

https://www.veeam.com/agent-for-windows-community-edition.html

Thanks, will give that a go alongside Paragon as a replacement for Macrium.