Menu
mz0086
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Rerouting cable through wall

Hey, seen a few variations on this question but nothing that quite answers it for me.

My cable takes a pretty convoluted route, up and over the garage, through holes drilled in the wooden frame of the garage back door, then into the house through a wall shared by the garage and house.

I'm getting rid of the wooden door frame and getting uPVC door in it's place. So I think I want to route the cable into the garage through its wall instead.

Getting to the point - is it as simple as drilling a hole through the mortar and feeding the cable through that? Would you seal up around the cable afterwards?

Thanks in advance for any help.

0 Kudos
gary_dexter
Alessandro Volta
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Rerouting cable through wall

Do you mean the coax cable?

You can re-route it yes, but you can't make any modifications to it like shortening it etc.

If you think my answer has helped - please provide me with a Kudos rating and mark as Helpful Answer!!
I do not work for Virgin Media - all opinions expressed are of my own and all answers are provided from my own and past experiences.
Office 365, Dynamics CRM and Cloud Computing Jedi
0 Kudos
mz0086
Joining in
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I did yeah - just checking it's as simple as it sounds and whether I need conduit perhaps.

Thanks for your reply.

0 Kudos
Andrew-G
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

A simple conduit is a sound idea whenever going through walls, whether that's coax, ethernet or power cables.  For data or coax any short section of plastic pipe that the lead (and plug if relevant) will fit through is suitable, then seal as appropriate, but in a manner that would permit easy cable replacement in future.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Zach_R
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi @mz0086,

Thank you for your posts and welcome to our community forums. We're here to help.

If you need for us to re-route the cabling then an engineer visit can be arranged to perform the work, but there would be a £99 charge in order to do so. You can find out more about this via our Price Guide.

If you'd like to proceed with that, please let me know and I can then send you a private message to discuss and arrange.

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
mz0086
Joining in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Zach_R. I've just had a look at doing this myself but I can't do it without cutting off the old connector and putting a new one on. Looks simple enough if I can get the right size part, but with working from home I don't want to risk a balls-up!

What are the odds Virgin will do this without the £99 charge - given I'm out of contract and the roads outside my house are current being dug up to put down fibre for other networks? 🙂

It's only a case of running it though the wall right next to the doorframe it currently goes through, which is getting replaced.

0 Kudos
Z92
Trouble shooter
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The £99 charge is the non fault callout fee.

Now if you had a fault... 🤔😉

Hayley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello @mz0086,

I am sorry but we can not waive this fee due to the job that would need doing, if you want to get this arranged let me know and I will send you a private message.

Please do not purposely damage your wires, this would not change the current costs.

Let me know,

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
mz0086
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Hayley_S - no I won't be damaging anything. I'll first look into whether I can replace the F connector and if I can't I'll see about switching supplier and getting a new cable run that way

0 Kudos
Hayley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

No problem @mz0086.

I am sorry about everything, I do hope you can replace this but if not then we will be sad to see you go.

Please do let me know if you want the engineer appointment in the future.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

0 Kudos