cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Requesting CM IP address / No RF signal detected

Duncanc123
Tuning in

Hello

ive tried everything except asking this forum, so here goes.

Short story-

I have recently moved to a house which was previously using virgin for tv and internet with no issue, I’ve taken my tivo and router which was working in my old house.

My problem is that I have tv and can connect to the routers wifi but I get no internet. The message when logged in to the router says “requesting cm ip address” and “no rf signal detected” as alternating messages.

Does anyone know what this means and how to fix it please?

Long version-

I’ve just moved house. I phoned up in advance to move my virgin package and after a long wait on hold (about 45min) I got through to someone. When I asked to move house they offered to upgrade me at the same time so I went through that process of the upgrade. After that was complete they said they had set it up at my current address and couldnt move it because I was talking to sales instead of moving. When they tried to put me through I was on hold over an hour before the line cut off. 2Hr+ on the phone so far.

I called up again a couple of days later and the person said the previous call hadn’t actually upgraded my package or moved me. This person did sort it out for me and got it to move on my moving day 15july. 3hr+ on the phone total now.

15july arrives and I have no internet. I phone up and they activate it. 4hr+ on phone. Still no internet. Many calls and hold wait times later they can’t fix it and need to send an engineer. Engineer can’t be booked until 20july. Currently didn’t about 6 hr on the phone total.

20july the engineer comes and changes a cable. Didn’t expect this to need to be done as the previous owners had virgin, but great to fix it if they think it needs it. However the engineer said it still needs activating and I had to wait a couple hours. Still no internet 9hr later. 6hr on the phone and a 45min engineer visit so far.

I phone virgin again and get told that there is nothing they can do so they will send an engineer out. This time it’s booked for 26july. I said that’s not good enough, so mindfully the person tries more things on the phone. Still can’t fix it and so the engineer stays booked for 26july, but they give me £20 token gesture.

it’s now been 5days, about 8hr of calls (mainly on hold), plus a 45min engineer visit and nothing has changed. I’ve got another engineer coming in another 6 days but I’m losing hope. Even if they do fix it that’s 11days of no internet and it’s costing me greatly by not being able to work from home. Plus it generally just loads of wasted time.

Can I do anything to fix this?

Is it likely the second engineer will be able to fix it?

What compensation can I get?

THIS IS SO FRUSTRATING!!!

10 REPLIES 10

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Looks to me that your hub is still allocated to your old address/account and has not been set up correctly for your new location. A VM staff member should get to the post early tomorrow.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Steven_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey @Duncanc123,

Welcome to the community and thanks for taking the time to post your issue on the forums.

I'm truly sorry to hear of the issues and experience that you've had since moving house, I have looked into this and tried to resolve the problems but I believe that I have come across the same issues as the agents that you have spoken to and we cannot do anything further until the issues have been resolved by a technician as we cannot remotely access your hub to try to fix the problems. 

We will be able to discuss the compensation that you will be offered, when the issues have been fully resolved. Would you like me to raise a complaint about this on the system for you?

Regards,

Steven_L

Hello @Steven_L

Thanks for replying and trying to help, but unfortunately you have found the same issue as other agents.

Im losing hope. Please do raise this as a complaint, if it hasnt already been.

I said i would be looking at alternative companies today if i couldnt get at least the first month for free for my troubles so far. The person on the phone said the most they could do is £20 but frankly that is just not enough for the huge disruption this is causing. We still arent fixed yet either so i would expect more compensation than a month off my bill by the time i get connected.

The engineer yesterday replaced the box on the wall and the cables inside the house (even though it was working days before with the previous owners), but this makes me highly doubtful that the next engineer booked can do anything different in my house.

To be honest i expect to still be without internet after the next engineer visit, but at that point i will have been 12 days (8 working days) without being able to work from home.

Can i maybe be sent a new router to try in the mean time just to cancel out the router being the problem? The engineer can always pick it up when they visit if that wasnt the problem.

I was also meant to be sent a 360 box because ive had my tivo for 7+ years, but that hasnt arrived so maybe that can be sent at the same time.

Can i get a wifi dongle from virgin to tide me over? Again im happy for the engineer to take it away when they visit if they fix the issue.

Can the engineer be booked any sooner?

Any idea of what the issue is and a guarantee that it can be fixed would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Duncan

I believe I only have 2 days left of my 14 day cancellation period, which unfortunately falls before the engineer is booked.

Can someone please give me a responce asap about the issue and if it can be fixed?

Tudor
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The 14 days should not start until your service is fully installed and running, but get confirmation from a VM staff member.

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2

Hello Tudor

My package was upgraded when i phoned about moving house, in advance of actually moving. It was after the upgrade that i got a message saying i had a 14 day cancellation period.

"get confirmation from a VM staff member" is not as easy as it sounds 😒. I dont fancy yet another 30min on hold before they answer a call. Maybe someone on here will see this and give me an answer 🤞.

Thanks for coming back to us @Duncanc123, I will need to send over a private message for us to confirm a few details and we can get the complaint raised for you.

I can however address some of your points from the post here in public.

Can i maybe be sent a new router to try in the mean time just to cancel out the router being the problem? The engineer can always pick it up when they visit if that wasnt the problem.

Unfortunately we arent able to send out any new routers, a technician visit is always needed to replace any of our equipment.

I was also meant to be sent a 360 box because ive had my tivo for 7+ years, but that hasnt arrived so maybe that can be sent at the same time.

This will be looked into once we have ran through security.

Can i get a wifi dongle from virgin to tide me over? Again im happy for the engineer to take it away when they visit if they fix the issue.

Unfortunately, we cannot provide any type of dongle to you until the technician visit

Can the engineer be booked any sooner?

There are no earlier dates than what you have at the moment.

Please look out for my private message and we can get that complaint raised.

Regards,

Steven_L

I now have internet thanks to the engineer yesterday 👏🎉.

The issue was that the router had not been registered at the new address. Which is a joke after the number of times i had been told it had and even the previous engineer visit didnt pick this up.

This engineer said it was not a hardware issue, but he spent ages on the phone to support trying to get them to connect it and they all kept saying it was working fine, which obviously it wasnt, same incompetence i have been facing for 2 weeks.

He got fed up and replaced the router which forced the person on the phone to reregister the device and it worked.

Im so glad he fixed it, at least someone can work the system correctly even if it wasnt the official way to get it resolved. Kudos to him.

Another thing which came up in conversation with the engineer is that my package is not the best fit to what i had asked for.

Even though i had to talk through the bundle setup twice and i said the same to both people i spoke to they have upsold me by not providing the correct information and ommiting some options.

I said i wanted the cheapest way to get basic tv and internet of at least 100mb/s. I only agreed to going on to the 350mb/s and all channel bundle because i was told the discount applied did make it the cheapest way to get what i wanted.

The engineer has mentioned there is a stream box which provides basic tv without contract and then i can have the cheap internet contract. Ive looked this up and he is correct, which is a better option and should have been offered to me.

Currently im paying £48/mo after discount for my bundle, which probably is a good deal, but it was not at all what i asked for.

The basic 100mb/s from virgin is £26/mo, nearly half the price, and i could have a free stream box for basic tv. Why was I was not sold this.

Ive only been connected to the internet for 1 day of my contract so i should still be able to change or cancel my contract.

I had actually just written that i wanted to leave and was about to call up, but i rewrote this giving you one last chance to keep me with a good deal.

Please let me know what is the cheapest 100mb/s broadband you can provide (or faster if its only a few quid different), with a free stream box?

I will be persuing compensation for the lost time and additional expenses for the 2 weeks or rubbish ive had so far. Could this be included as a bigger discount off the monthly bill.

Regards

Duncan

Hey Duncanc123, thank you for reaching out and letting me know the internet is working, I am happy to hear this.

You can make any changes to your contact whenever you want for example getting a stream box.

If you want to learn more about this please follow this link.

The deal are you referring to is for new customers only, however we do offer some amazing deals to our existing customers. 

You can look at some deal via this link However please make sure you are signed in when you are trying to do this. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?