Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Request to move external junction box

I am a Virgin Media customer and my external junction box is currently wedged between the wall and gate frame. We need to have our gate replaced and have been advised to move the junction box which is currently in the way. 

Would it be possible to arrange for an engineer to perform this task?

I had no joy with the automated chat, which thinks I want to move house and was kept on hold on the phone.

Many thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Request to move external junction box

Best time to ring is around 8am, & go down the “faults” route.

As the callout is not fault related there will be a £99 charge for any work carried out.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the useful advice.

For the money I have to ask the question: Is this kind of work something that must be carried out by a Virgin engineer?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

@Moonmin82 wrote:

Thanks for the useful advice.

For the money I have to ask the question: Is this kind of work something that must be carried out by a Virgin engineer?

Yes. It is their network property, just as is the gas pipe or electric feed into your house, & any interference with it is against t&cs. Unauthorised DIY alterations are the cause of a lot of network problems.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

only VM should do it but your description of where it is sounds a little odd - post a photo - if it was not done correctly in the first place you might convince them to do it foc - best to wait here for VM to pick the thread up and see what they can do

Tony
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tony,

Thanks for your thoughts. The placement is indeed very odd and makes no sense.

I suspect that the box was installed prior to the gate, however its location is the only viable position where a security gate could be located. It suggests that minimal thought was put into its positioning. It really should have been placed on the adjacent corner, at the front of the house (literally inches away).

I recall when I moved into the property the Virgin Media engineer had to remove the gate from its hinges to access the cables inside the box. In hindsight this would perhaps have been the ideal opportunity for it to have been relocated. 

WCwQF4bx.jpg

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

you certainly suspect the gate was added after the box - its not ideal and they may demand £99 to move it - how does the cable feed from the ground - thats the key point - if there is enough spare to move it round the corner then its not difficult - if not it would likely need a repull 

Tony
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Ah it makes sense now, thanks Tony. Upon closer inspection the cable feeds directly from underneath. Hopefully this will not pose a problem upon relocation as a post will need to stand here.

tUl4PRh8.jpg 

0 Kudos