Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Request for Urgent Progression of Failed Installation

My Virginmedia Installation on 19th December 2019 ground to a halt at the very final stage when it was found that the 'tube' from my house to the cabinet some 100m away was blocked, about 1/2 way along.

I could not be given a further Installation date, as digging in the road would be necessary, so Statutory Notices would need to be issued and a 'dig' team allocated.

Since that date, I have heard NOTHING from Virginmedia, except a bogus, automatically-generated 'Re-scheduled Installation' letter, giving the date of 7th January.

However, yesterday, (15th January), 2 'Build Delivery Engineers' arrived (completely out of the blue !) who had been tasked with confirming the blocked tube and clearing the tube, if possible.

It turned out that the 'problem' was actually self-inflicted by the initial Installation team, in that they had managed to put a sharp 'loop' in the tube they had just run within my property, causing enough friction to make it appear that the main tube run was blocked !

This was sorted out and the fibre is now fully installed from my house to the cabinet.

I was told that, after they had reported back what they had done, that they would expect my installation to be completed within a day or 2.

This morning, I got a call from Virginmedia offering me an Installation date of 29th January (!?!), which I was told was the earliest possible date, despite me explaining all that had occurred since my initial, failed installation.

I have left a Voicemail for the Manager of the initial Installation team, but he has yet to call me back.

SURELY, completing my Installation should be given the very HIGHEST priority, considering that

1. The Installation WOULD have been completed on the original date IF the Installation team had followed the standard practice of NOT having sharp kinks or loops in the 'tube', as they laid it.

2. All the cabling/equipment around and inside the house is run/connected; so it's almost reduced to a 'self-install'-type of job - which I would be perfectly capable of doing myself - provided that the TV box and the Router had 'screw'-type coaxial cable connections, as that is what is on the 'tails' that have been left.

3. Virginmedia are accumulating £5 PER DAY in my Virginmedia Account, as compensation for the failed installation.

4. Virginmedia are receiving NO monthly subscription from me yet.

5. Not directly Virginmedia's responsibility, but my Sky TV subscription ceased 2 weeks after the expected Virginmedia installation date.  So we have no 'premium' TV UNLESS I renew my Sky subscription.

6. Again, not directly Virginmedia's responsibility, but since my broadband 'migration' and Number Porting from my existing Talktalk provider did not go ahead on the expected date, although my Broadband and 'phone are still working, Talktalk seem to have 'upgraded' by broadband, AND think that I have started a NEW contract with them !  So I am expecting them to attempt to impose MASSIVE contract cancellation charges !

7. I REALLY, REALLY WANT VIRGIN MEDIA TV AND BROADBAND !!!

As you would imagine, trying to explain this to a Virginmedia Telephone Agent, when all they can/are allowed to do is tell me what it says on their screen is very frustrating.

Please could this information be passed to an appropriate person to give it the priority I believe it deserves ?

Account Number: [MOD EDIT: Removed] Area Reference: 14 apply.

Thanks, in anticipation.

Philip

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 9
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Request for Urgent Progression of Failed Installation

Hi Philip,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and a very warm welcome to you, I am sorry for the delay in getting you installed due to a construction and cabling issue, I will be more than happy to look further into this for you, I will send you an invite into a private chat, please click on the purple envelop to accept.

Kind regards

Paul.

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Installation now complete - But Assistance with Phone system requested !

After FINALLY getting my Installation completed yesterday, I have a little problem with my home telephone system.

If I plug a 'phone handset into the socket on the rear of my Hub3 router, it works perfectly for both outgoing and incoming calls on my original number, now ported to Virginmedia.

However, I have 3 extension sockets wired via the correct User Wiring terminals on the removable part of the landline NTE5 master socket.

On one of these extensions is the base station for my 3-handset cordless phone system, which I need to keep in its current location, for various reasons.

The problem is that, although the ADSL broadband signal is no longer present on the incoming (ex Talktalk) landline, there is a constant busy tone audible on any handset plugged into the master socket, or any of the extensions.

So, when I connect a cable from the telephone socket on the Hub3 to my telephone system wiring, the Talktalk busy tone is superimposed on the Virginmedia dial tone, when I pickup any handset to dial out.

This doesn't prevent me making outgoing calls from my connected phones on any extension; but is VERY annoying when conversing with the called party !

However, for any INCOMING calls, the equipment trying to connect the call detects the 'busy' superimposed on my Virginmedia line and cannot connect to my number.

Thus, I CANNOT RECEIVE ANY INCOMING CALLS if I have my extensions connected !

I'm guessing that something has gone wrong at Talktalk's end with the number porting/line disconnection process; but since I was not involved with initiating that process (and am probably no longer a Talktalk customer), I think it needs someone at Virginmedia with the necessary skills or contacts to formally resolve this problem.

In the meantime, a very helpful Virginmedia technician has disconnected the 'drop' cable pair on the Talktalk side of the master socket (after due consultation with a colleague).

Whilst this has allowed me to re-connect all my extensions (and they all work perfectly now, for both incoming and outgoing calls), the physical disconnection in the Master socket might cause confusion, if the landline is ever to be brought back into use.

When/if the 'busy' tone is removed from the line (at the exchange end ?), reconnecting the drop cable is a simple process, and would regularise the landline connections.

In case readers ask :-

I realise that none of my extension phones will actually work if there is a problem with my Virginmedia phone 'line'.

I realise that only authorised staff are meant to touch the landline side of the Master socket.

Thanks, Philip

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Legend
Message 4 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Re: Installation now complete - But Assistance with Phone system requested !

The incoming phone line from Openreach, regardless of who you previous provide was, must be totally isolated from the VM telephone network. It sound like you are using some of the infrastructure for your extensions. You need to take the cable that goes to the first extension, remove it from the old master socket and plug it into your VM hub. This will then isolate the old Opeanreach circuit. I realise that this may need a new socket, but I do not think VM will do the work. I diagram of your setup may help confirm this scenario. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your response, Tudor, and, being a retired electrical engineer, I do understand everything you're suggesting.

However, you're unfortunately mistaken when you suggest  'It sound like you are using some of the infrastructure for your extensions.'

All the extensions are 'starred' from the User side of the Talktalk NTE5, so are completely disconnected when the front part of the NTE5 is unplugged, to reveal the Master Line socket, which has/had (!) only the landline 'drop' pair connected to it.

When I asked the original Virginmedia Installation Team about me connecting from the Hub3 rear telephone socket to the User socket on the front of the Talktalk NTE5 (to connect to my extension sockets), I was told that this was completely the normal thing to do, and it would cause no problems !

Hence my suggestion that the busy tone now on the landline was a 'leftover' from the number porting/disconnection process, and would require input from Virginmedia to Talktalk to get it removed from the line.

I have no qualms about leaving the landline drop pair safely disconnected from the Master socket.

I was just trying to get my extensions connected and not leave any traps for if the landline is ever brought back into use, for any reason.

Regards, Philip

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

We can see from your account that you are currently subscribed to our 21-century voice, this means your landline works when plugged into the back of the hub does your handset work when plugged into the back of your hub? We would not touch the master sockets when installing this as the telephone comes through the broadband.

Thanks,

Zoie

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Zoie,

I believe your question is fully answered in the 2nd paragraph of my 1st Message today.

It might be helpful if you read that Message fully; as well as Tudor's response; and my response back to Tudor, to get the full gist of the problem; why I did what I have done; and why I think this still needs Virginmedia to liaise with Talktalk to remove the busy tone from the ex-Talktalk landline.

Regards, Philip

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 8 of 9
Flag for a moderator

Hi Philip4242,

Thanks for coming back to us and I'm terribly sorry we haven't been able to solve this so far.

I'd like to take a closer look at this issue for you, but will need to take this to PM to pass data protection before we take action on the account

Please check out the purple envelope int he top right hand corner for my message

Kindest regards,

David_Bn

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Legend
Message 9 of 9
Flag for a moderator

@Philip4242 I think you are right in saying Talktalk should fully deactivate your old incoming circuit. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos