Menu
Eivor_RC
Tuning in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Replacing Equipment Using Quickstart

• Good Morning,

BLUF While an engineer has been booked (free of charge by the call centre), I would like to understand if one is required (i.e the stuff can be posted) or if one is required, this information can be passed on.

Ive upgraded to the ultimate oomph 1Gig package as an existing customer and been sent a self install kit to replace my existing set up.

Downstairs

Virgin old style box with mains plug and thick coax coming out into a splitter. The splitter goes to the Hub 3 router (via a 4db filter) and the V6 box. Distance approx 2 metres.

Upstairs

One v6 box. The engineer on original install used an old sky cable and conected this outside (looks to be via a simple connector). This is hard wired into the sealed external box. Distance approx 9 metres.

The call centre asked if everything was within 15 metres of the wall socket which it is.

What I have been sent

2 x 360 boxes plus remotes and power supplies
1 x 15m cable with isolator for wall socket
1x 3m cable with isolator for wall socket
1 x hub 4 with power supply
3 x 3m cat 6 utp ethernet cable
1 x hdmi 2.0
1 x spanner

The problem

I understand and was advised by the call centre all cables need replacing. This causes the following issues:

1) I have no new cables past the splitter. The call centre advised I can use the existing splitter but recommended the cables be replaced.

2) I cant replace the cable for upstairs as its hard wired into the external box and it uses an old sky cable. There is no Virgin box I can plug it in to.

Where I need advice

Can I use the exising coax past the splitter and replace the cable from the wall socket to the splitter.

Can I use the current set up going upstairs or does this need replacement. If it needs replacement and an internal box should have been fitted, this was an incorrect installation.

If downstairs needs a new splitter/broadband cable im happy for this to be sent to me in the post assuming it will arrive before Friday.

Any advice is much appreciated. I will upload some images later as they exceed the allowance.

0 Kudos
stabilo00
Up to speed
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Replacing Equipment Using Quickstart

If what you have now works ok and was installed by Virgin then you have no need to change the cables.
0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I wouldn't have thought Virgin would install an old Sky cable though, and since this is an old cable it might cause interference and should really be disconnected from the Virgin network, or replaced by an engineer if you want to keep that location. If you tell customer services the connection doesn't work they'll send an engineer which should put your mind at rest, and hopefully shouldn't charge either (as you normally get a small discount for choosing Qucikstart over a manned installation) 

0 Kudos
-tony-
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@Z92 wrote:

I wouldn't have thought Virgin would install an old Sky cable though, and since this is an old cable it might cause interference and should really be disconnected from the Virgin network, or replaced by an engineer if you want to keep that location. If you tell customer services the connection doesn't work they'll send an engineer which should put your mind at rest, and hopefully shouldn't charge either (as you normally get a small discount for choosing Qucikstart over a manned installation) 

on the surface i would not disagree with that but i know of posts on here that have said techs used sky cables for tv boxes - or i have a memory of that - searching for posts would be impossible but i trust my memory

i thought at the time it strange but it was posted by a VM tech - take that as you want it 

Tony
0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Yep, lets leave it to the poster to decide, if they have a good connection then no worries, but if the connection is unstable, first place to look. 

0 Kudos
Eivor_RC
Tuning in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Thanks all,

Here are the images I mentioned:

Downstairs

20210203_082439_compress15.jpg

20210203_082538_compress0.jpg

20210203_082607_compress19.jpg

20210203_082554_compress93.jpg

 Upstairs

20210203_082806_compress88.jpg

20210203_082839_compress61.jpg

20210203_083040_compress74.jpg

 For upstairs, we ysed to have sky multiroom so the virgin engineer comnected to that coax to save laying a new cable.

My research indicsted cables were a hot topic hence why I wanted to be certain before unplugging stuff. Introducing noise as others have mentioned is one thing, the other is everyone working from home on video calls so internet issues isnt an option.

0 Kudos
Eivor_RC
Tuning in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Images have now uploaded. This is the set up for the 200mpbs package, hub 3 and V6 boxes. Were upgrading to Hub 4 and 360 boxes.

0 Kudos
Eivor_RC
Tuning in
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator

The engineer visited and kept the same cables and simply swapped out the existing hub and boxes. He mentioned the existing cables were far better than the quick start kit which is good to know.

I have an issue with getting the 2.4GHz Wi-Fi to switch on and will post separately on this.

Thanks to everyone who posted!

0 Kudos
Brava210
Superfast
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

We had an Engineer round a year or so ago, he used the old sat cable that we had, just re crimped a new connector on.
I find it strange that the new type isolator (Which I have one) use what looks like cheap thin co-ax
ODD
Virgin 350 Hub 3, 3 x V6, TP-Link Deco AX20 x1, M5 x2 - United Artists/Telewest/VM Since 1990
0 Kudos
Eivor_RC
Tuning in
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

I understand the isolator as it protects against power surges however the FTTP box has one so we didn't need it anyway. I know what you mean on the new cable and strange Virgin would send them out if the current ones are better. I know the push fit is to make it easier for customers but the Engineer mentioned it doesn't always give a secure connection. He was very good, really understanding and knowledgeable. The only change he made was removing the 4db connectors as they were not needed (although if we had fitted it it wouldn't have made a noticeable difference).  

0 Kudos