Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Replacing Broadband wall socket

19680705-A0D1-4330-9CA8-BDF29AA9B87B.jpeg

Virgin Media replaced my square-shaped broadband wall-socket with an ugly white plastic box (and did a poor job installing it - see picture).

As customer care won’t answer, I’m trying here:

did anyone have the same issue? Did anyone find a replacement for the ugly white box with inappropriate size and shape? Any recommendation?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 13
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Replacing Broadband wall socket

Your image will be published shortly. You have the new style VM wall box and while it looks a bit skew it is all there is.  The installation and the cable that comes from it are VM's property; not yours. That is part of the contract. Interfere with it at your peril. If you introduce noise into the network by an unauthorised use of a different surface box because of the risk of interfering with the wiring,  VM will know and charge you for putting it right and will also charge you for any compensation they have had to pay to others of your part of network who might have been affected. 

Now it is skew on the wall. VM installers are not perfect so I would suggest that you wait here for a VM staff member to come by and advise what might be done. For my part all I would do is get a bit of polyfilla or similar to close the gap and a bit of paint to touch in the filler. But that is just me. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thank you that’s helpful. The boxes is not only skewed, but loose and moves with the cable. I have toddlers running around, so whilst it’s VM property if VM put my kids at risk with poor installation, that’s another issue they need to fix.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 13
Flag for a moderator

OK, wait for the VM staff to pick up this thread and advise. Couple of days. The Box doesn't carry heavy current or voltages but I understand your concern about having loose wiring in the house where tiny hands might poke things through the gap or pull things off the wall. Sometimes I do wonder why VM leave installations like this?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 13
Flag for a moderator

How long does it take for VM to see these?

i have tried to call the helpline, it’s an automated machine and impossible to talk to anyone, twitted the issue, logged a complaint, and got no answer or follow-up.

what else can be done to have someone from VM look at this?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 13
Flag for a moderator

can take a week or so for them to get to threads - i dont think there is an alternative to the box you have - as to it being loose it will possibly the back that is not fixed correctly - you could try removing the front and tightening the back piece - theres no electrics or anything of danger - but it depends on if you feel happy to look

if not wait here for VM

Tony
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 7 of 13
Flag for a moderator

That picture shows a Euro module VM connection, but it can go into a different faceplate.  I suspect the back box is not deep enough to hold the cables, so has been installed in the bigger face plate.  The new build VM guide shows how the Euro module should be installed.

EuroModule.JPG

With a deeper back box or a face plate spacer, this should be possible to retro fit.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 13
Flag for a moderator

Thanks,

how do I get one of these?

this looks like what was initially installed on my wall, so o struggle to understand why VM went for the ugly plastic box that neither fits or can be fixed properly

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 9 of 13
Flag for a moderator

@JayBee8 wrote:

Thanks,  how do I get one of these?  This looks like what was initially installed on my wall, so o struggle to understand why VM went for the ugly plastic box that neither fits or can be fixed properly

Euro faceplate for one module - https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-1-gang-front-plate-white/78092

10mm spacer (this may or may not be thick enough?) - https://www.screwfix.com/p/schneider-electric-lisse-1-gang-spacer-white/5782j

Cheers

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 10 of 13
Flag for a moderator

But I understand this is for VM to touch on the installation, not for me, right.

is there a way we can prompt them towards that option?

@VM happy to pay for that, just need you guys to react

0 Kudos