Menu
gco1234
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Replacement V6 box taking hours to set up

A few days ago my V6 box that I had been using since February 2018 when I joined Virgin Media stopped working. My telly just displayed static and flashing colours behind text. I tested my HDMI cable with my DVD player and there was no problems there. The television itself is fine. So I contacted VM and they said they'd send a replacement box that I was to self-install. I asked the representative on the phone if I just had to switch the connections over from the old box to the new one and he said yes. Simple enough.

Today I received my new V6 box (and well done to VM for the prompt delivery). I start up the new box, having switched over all the wires from previous, and I am met with the welcome message as usual. After that however, a symbol appears on the screen displaying a little arrow that fills up bit-by-bit, pointing downwards to another symbol that appears to represent the V6 box. The box itself slowly flashes an orange light, then a red light. Then the box seems to reset itself and after a few seconds I get the welcome message once again.

I assumed this was part of the installation process and the manual that came with the delivery did say it's normal for this to happen but this has been repeating for over 2 hours now. The manual indicates it should only take around half an hour.

Is it just a case of a longer than expected installation or do I have a problem?

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Replacement V6 box taking hours to set up

Did you not have to "activate" it by phone or text?

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
gco1234
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

No. I haven't received any mesage or phone call on the phone number linked to my VM account.

0 Kudos
jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

It may not have been activated properly then. here is some advice from a post from "newapollo"...

--------------------------------------------

VM have recently started pre-activating their equipment, and the equipment should call "home" and be activated within 30 minutes, however sometimes this fails and the advice is to sign into Service status at the top of this page and run a test against the equipment you are installing..... "By doing this we’ll be able to reboot the equipment or put you in touch with the right team".

The old method was to reboot the equipment and if it failed then you need to phone to get your box activated. Call 0800 953 9500. You will need the box serial number, and your account and area number. Call now but 08.00 is the best time to call any VM number to get through quickly

You could also try contacting New accounts and Set Up for them to complete the setup and activation.
That would be options 1,1,1 and 4 if dialling 150 from a Virgin landline , or options 1,1,2 and 4  if dialling 0345 4541111 from any other phone – again calling at 08.00 is the best time for getting through quickly,

Or, text the same details to 07533 051809 - responses are slower though

Finally a VM person should respond on here when they pick it up but that can take a week or more at the moment.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired 2 WiFi,) SH2 in modem mode with Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's. On VIVID200, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.
0 Kudos
gco1234
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Don't worry about it mate, you were right the first time. I needed to activate it by phoning VM.

I wasn't told of that originally but you pushed me in the right direction. All seems fine and in working order now, thank you for your help!

0 Kudos