cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Repeatedly Delayed Activation (KMM106743415V89446L0KM)

baf12345
Joining in

I'm really not sure why I think this would help but I'm really totally despairing at this point. I moved a few doors down to a new flat in March and signed up with Virgin Media as we used them in my old flat without any issue. However, it has now been over 6 weeks and multiple rescheduled appointments, and still no internet. 

I've spoken to various teams on various occasions and am constantly told conflicting information, that work is currently ongoing to clear the blockage in my area, or that work has not yet started, that they've spoken to the third party company and I'm top of the list, but there's too many people in front of me and they've rescheduled, or that they haven't emailed the third party contractor because they won't change their schedule. They send me text messages asking me to reply to chat, then never reply, or promise callbacks then nothing. They don't explain what the blockage is, why it's taking so long, and they have no way  I've now been pushed back for the 5th time to 20th May, which they waited until after hours on a Saturday to tell me so I haven't been able to speak to anyone to get any more information, not that anyone would.

I work from home and though they've sent me a dongle, it makes my system crash and is having a huge impact on my ability to do my job. The stress is really getting to me. I don't know what to do.

24 REPLIES 24

So can I beat my friend, Sky took 12 months and dug up the whole street.

We are currently on month 5 and waiting for a digger to dig up 3 meters of path, the path has already been dug up in 4 places.

Known this for about 3 weeks yet last week the pre pull guys came wtaf.

Were you not told it wasn't ready! yes it had been dug up twice but it's rammed and needs a digger.

I mean I heard the guys on the phone saying it's rammed need digger so how did that not get communicated to the pre pull teams.

Utterly useless, back to the press team again me thinks got a phone call next day.

Next install date 24th. Until that digger arrives who knows.

Hi ruthskii

The installation would have been rescheduled due to the construction not being cleared.

We are very sorry for the further delay.

The works required will be scheduled to be completed prior to your new installation date. 

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Thank you for your time.

Vikki_M
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi baf12345

Thank you for your post and welcome to our community.

I am sorry to hear about the delay with your installation.

I will send you a private message now so I can look into this further for you.

Please look out for the purple envelope in the top right of the page and pop back to me when you can. 

Vikki - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

baf12345
Joining in

Response from Virgin Media is nothing but shallow pablum. Signed onto my account this evening to find my installation has been postponed again, for the 6th time, to 2nd June. Meanwhile I am unable to work. Will Virgin Media pay my missed paycheques?

Hi @baf12345 thanks for your reply here, sorry to hear of this.

We can see you are discussing things with a colleague via PM, so kindly wait for them to respond to your latest PM - they will do so in due course.

Many thanks

Tom_W

baf12345
Joining in

Tom, the colleague I am discussing things with clearly has no access to any information and has instead been giving me conflicting statements that are further confusing the matter. In his last two messages, he admitted he doesn't have any information and gave me details of where I can cancel my Virgin Media contract. It astonishes me that Virgin Media are treating a customer in this manner. I appreciate it would be more convenient for you if I kept this treatment private, but don't you think it's appropriate for other potential customers to see how Virgin Media behaves?

To date, Virgin Media have failed to install internet for 79 days. No one will tell me if a permit has even been applied for.

ruthskii
Joining in

We are currently on month 8 waiting for internet.

Apparently a permit was put in but we don't know when either and that was after alot of phones and complaints. Last time we saw anyone do anything to blockage was February the path had been dug up 4 times and now we need it completely dug up by digger. It's been very frustrating, We have now been rescheduled around 30 times.

VMUser1812
Fibre optic

It may, or may not interest you to know, just to set expectations, that the longest known wait on here for a VM install between the first given in writing installation date and when it finally went 'live' was a little over 13 months!

The good news though is that if you have been given an installation date in writing, then VM are obliged to pay you compensation of around £6 per day (as of April 1st, it was around £5.25 per day before then), for each and every day from that install date until they finally connect you up, or you cancel (and yes they still have to pay), or they give up and issue you with a formal cease notice - but even then they have to pay for the next thirty days! VM would naturally prefer to pay this in the form of a 'credit' to your account, but the regulations do not require this and you can insist on a cheque for the full amount.

@baf12345, the same is true for you, except it is not clear in your post if you had VM in your old flat and tried to take the existing services to your new one, or you were simply setting up a brand new account. If the former, then you are probably still paying for the 'existing contract' even though you have no service. In this case, your's would be regarded as a complete loss of service, from the date you move, and that merits a higher rate of compensation, closer to £10 for each and every day!

As you have now discovered, when VM install a new setup for a 'prospective customer' the entire thing is outsourced, which is fine, except that VM appear to have a system, whereby once they hand it off to a contractor, they give up on any sort of oversight. No one working for VM, from the CEO downwards, either knows, or has any ability whatsoever to find out, or indeed appear to have any desire to find out, exactly what is happening with the contractors, when they will do your job, or even if they will do your job!

Just to add insult to injury, if you do call then rather than openly admit this, the knee-jerk reaction appears to be to simply make something up, anything plausible will do, with no ability to base this on what you may or may not have been told previously - because it's all just made up on the spot - how can you simultaneously be at the 'top of the priority list', and also 'there are too many people ahead of you'? Maybe there is a 'super-douper priority list' which comes first? Who can tell, certainly no-one from VM, including alas, the forum team members here, who are, literally, as much in the dark as you are!

So what can you do to expedite things? Alas, very little for the reasons I mention above. What I suggest is that you mentally set yourself a deadline and if VM haven't got you connected up by xyz date, you abandon waiting and sign up with an alternative supplier, even maybe a 4G/5G connection. As regards the VM installation, one option is to cancel and demand the required compensation, no doubt this will be ignored or denied and you end up going to the Ombudsman service. Alternatively, you could do nothing, think about the compensation mounting up and let VM install as and when. Again you demand the compensation but you also have the right to cancel within 14 days without  penalty, but you know that the cables are in and tested should you care to give VM another go in the future. A drawback being an unnecessary box on the outside wall of your house, possibly cables strewn across the garden and a couple of holes in the wall!

Please Samuel hurry up and call us.

I can't wait to hear what's going to happen next and the monumental messing about wasting money and not sorting the problem out.