cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Removing second cable run from external (omnibox?) splitter

rd9827
Joining in

Hi,

Our virgin media omnibox (correct term for the grey box on the outside wall?) has two outgoing cables - one that goes straight into the house at that point, and one that is goes around the house into the living room.  An animal (or animals) has been pulling at the cable that runs to the living room, it is no longer attached to the wall in places.  As we don't use the second cable run can we safely just remove it?

The cover of the omnibox was not securely attached, and I can see something that looks like a coax splitter in there, can I just unscrew it here?  Or, do I need to get a VM engineer to pop round - possibly replacing the splitter with a F-F connector?

Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Please post a photo of the damage and the omnibox.  A VM Mod can assess the issue and get a technician around to fix it and remove the redundant cables.  If you wait here a day or two a VM Mod will pick this up.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Matthew_ML
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hey rd9827, thank you for reaching out and I am sorry to hear there is some damaged to the cabling. 

Is this currently affecting your services? 

Please can you also post some pictures we can a look at this and get the right resolutions for you. Thanks 

Matt - Forum Team

New around here?

nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Anything you disconnect will affect your signal levels. Get a tech booked if you need it removed.

VM 350BB 2xV6 & Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi,

Thanks or the responses. 

The centre cable in the splitter is the one that isn't being used, and runs along the outside of the house:

splitter in the omniboxsplitter in the omnibox

There is no current damage to the cable, and there is no loss of service - the cable isn't in use.  A telephone cable that ran alongside this cable was physically damaged, and has been removed.

cable detached from walcable detached from wal

Thanks.

The above advice re. power levels is all right and correct, except that there is quite a wide degree of tolerance, so why not just disconnect the unused centre connection and leave it for a few days and see what, if any, effect it has, in theory it won't have any at all? Now ideally the unused connection should be capped off, but if there are no issues then your next step would be to get yourself a barrel connector and remove the splitter entirely - now this WILL change the power levels by about 3dB, but again if no issues after a week or so then so be it and you can remove all of the extraneous cables etc.

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thank you for providing that information @rd9827

We can have a look to see if we can arrange an engineer to attend to get this cable removal request and omni box tidy completed for you. Please join me on private message so I can locate your account and pass account security. You can see your private messages at the top of the page, in the envelope icon. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley

Carley_S
Forum Team
Forum Team

Thank you for joining me on private message @rd9827

I have booked you the earliest appointment for an engineer to come and see if the cable can be removed and to look to secure your omni cover as well. 

Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns. We'll be here to help and support if needed. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley