cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remodelling and want to fit my own cables

Tj19990
Joining in

I'm extensively remodeling a house I'm about to move into, instead of Virginia media coming out and drilling holes everywhere to install cables, could I fit the coax cables throughout the house exactly where I want it.

Specifically so I can hide most of the wiring inside the walls and just have the coax pop out the walls where needed. I'd make sure sure all the supply ends meet at an accessible point so that the virgin engineer can bring the feed in from outside and join into my coax looms. 

Is that possible, I don't want to go to all the effort for an engineer to show up and just drill the walls anyway because he isn't allowed 

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

4 REPLIES 4

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

VM will not use any 3rd party co-ax cables.  You will need to install conduit and pull ropes for the VM engineer to install the special VM co-ax.  Note VM do not do any ethernet cabling, so think about this as well and install your own runs of Cat 6 where needed.  Personally I would flood as much of the house as possible with Ethernet  🙂

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Client62
Legend

The heyday of CATV over RG11 & RG6 coax is ending, new VM connection via RFoG and XGS-PON run the fibre inside the house. The existing coax feeds will be replaced with fibre in the foreseeable future.

mda99das
Up to speed

I have a post regarding this although my rewiring was done in 2005-2006. I had the insight to place coax and cat 5e ethernet back then and run it to a hub in the loft. Cut a long story short the engineer gave me some coax as like you I didn't want any holes drilled, and managed to lay the coax from the ground through an airbrick that went into the basement and out the other side. It then went up behind a drainpipe all the way to the loft. I've got 3 boxes and hub 5 and all rock solid. However I do have a direct cable connection to the cabinet now and the signal was too strong so I had to play arround with forward path attenuators. The VM tech gave me 6dB but getting a few post RS errors. Changing to 10dB they are now down to zero.  Bottom line is no VM tech is going to wait while you get things the way you want. Get a pre install visit and lay the cable yourself.

Daniel_Et
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Tj19990 👋 Thank you for your post and welcome to the Virgin Media Community 😀

Based on the excellent advice provided by @Adduxi, @Client62 and @mda99das, what's your thinking towards the situation?

Please pop back to us at your earliest convenience.

Regards,

Daniel