Menu
scarletp
Up to speed
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Relocating Hub 3.0 without having cables inside the house - quandary.

Considering upgrading to include TV but whilst trying to decide whether to choose the Tivo or the V6 box I happened to read that it is preferable not to use the V6 with WiFi so that got me thinking.

My Hub 3.0 is currently positioned in a room at the front of the house near the outside wall where NTL first led the dial up 54mb modem in? The television is in the lounge at the back of the house.  It's not an option to have any cables running from the hub across the hall and then into the lounge.  Can this be sorted by wiring cables around the outside of the house to where the TV is? 

Tivo versus V6:  In my quest to decide which box to choose - is the Tivo 1TB still available and does it definitely record 3 programs at once whilst watching another?  I cannot find much about it. 

Thank you for any shared thoughts.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Relocating Hub 3.0 without having cables inside the house - quandary.

to get around the issue of wires going everywhere could use a pair of homeplugs or attaching a access point to the hub to massively increase wifi coverage, still need a coax cable running from the entry point to the V6 or the Tivo, yeah think can record 3 and watch a fourth
----------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution
Roger_Gooner
Wise owl
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If there is access on the detached side of your house a VM technician can split the coaxial cable and run one leg to the back for the V6. The V6 could be connected by external Ethernet cabling designed for outdoor use following the same path as the coaxial cable but you'll need to do this yourself, although it's possible that powerline adapters will work well.

I'm not even sure if VM still provides the TiVo, but the V6 is a much better box in most ways.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
scarletp
Up to speed
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I believe the Tivo must still be in use as the VM lady I spoke to about upgrade pricing quoted for the Tivo with no mention of the V6. I did ask for it as well.

0 Kudos
Roger_Gooner
Wise owl
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

An upgrade would be for a V6 as a TiVo would only be provided if necessary. Get the V6 and run that Ethernet cable to the lounge. Also, if you have an Ethernet cable in the lounge you can have several devices connected to it as well as a V6 such as a games controller, laptop, TV, AVR, blu-ray player, media player, wireless access point, etc.

--
Hub 3.0, TP-Link Archer C8, TP-Link TL-SG1008D 8-port gigabit switch, V6
My Broadband Ping - Roger's VM Broadband Connection
0 Kudos