cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Red power light on hub instead of white

JudithWKelly
Tuning in

I rang VM today because my hub is showing a red power light and not the normal white light. The light has turned from white to orange to red over several days. I explained that there were no problems with my services, but I was concerned because of having read on this forum that the red light could mean the hub is overheating. The hub feels warm but not hot, nothing is blocking the surfaces. The technical support person I spoke to told me that the red light means there is heavy traffic or an issue in my area and I should ignore it and let it settle down. I'm not sure that he understood that I meant the power light which is always on and not any other light, although I did query his response.  I'd be grateful if someone could confirm whether or not I need a replacement hub, as seems to be the solution in other posts here.

14 REPLIES 14

BrownSauce
On our wavelength

The 'so called' technical support person simply lied to you!

Actually that might be harsh, lying implies a deliberate attempt to deny the truth, whereas, in this case it is far more likely that the 'technical support person' ie a poorly trained offshore call centre worker, simply had no idea what it meant and made any old excuse up just to get you off the phone.

Now, in reality, the red light is far more likely to be down to, I assume a Hub 3, being old and as LEDs age their colour does shift exactly as you describe from white to red. So probably there is nothing to be concerned about.

Well, except in the future the hub were to overheat, how would you know? So yes it absolutely does need replacing!

On a related matter, the somewhat cavalier attitude which the VM 'technical support person'* took towards, basically your and your families personal safety, might make you want to think very hard about whether VM is a company you want to do business with in the future!

* trust me, my cat knows more about how this stuff works than the average VM call centre worker - sorry 'the team'!

the post above says it all really so all i can add is a second voice to say the offshore idiot - i cannot call him/her other than that as the statements are complete rubbish - hopefully a VIP picks this up and flags it to support here who can get the hub changed

for offshore to lie is normal they do it day in day out - for that lie to potentially be dangerous is way too far

unfortanatly all that this will get is an apology [hopefully] and the bland statement that this is not the way things should be or some other such platitude

other than tha the muppet in whatever country will hear nothing and be free to spout such rubbish again

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Adduxi
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I see this has already been escalated to the Forum staff.  I would have thought this red LED stuff should be a replacement right away?  I guess the LED’s in these older Hub 3’s are going to be more and more a problem issue.  Not too sure how this will ever pan out. 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for your reply - very helpful. In future will ring your cat rather than VM - will be a much better use of my time!

Thanks - really hope to hear from VM support here rather than go through another useless phone call!

Hey there @JudithWKelly, thanks for reaching out to us and a warm welcome to the Virgin Media community forums. 👋🏼

I'm sorry to hear about the issues with the power light being the incorrect colour and this may indicate an issue with the actual hardware itself.
Just before we continue we need to ask the process of:

Have you taken out all the cables and placed them back in?
Are you able to do this and then reboot the hub?
Are you able to ensure that the hub is in an open space which is well ventilated to prevent overheating?

Let us know and we will then be able to assist further from there.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

-tony-
Alessandro Volta

@Ilyas_Y wrote:

Hey there @JudithWKelly, thanks for reaching out to us and a warm welcome to the Virgin Media community forums. 👋🏼

I'm sorry to hear about the issues with the power light being the incorrect colour and this may indicate an issue with the actual hardware itself.
Just before we continue we need to ask the process of:

Have you taken out all the cables and placed them back in?
Are you able to do this and then reboot the hub?
Are you able to ensure that the hub is in an open space which is well ventilated to prevent overheating?

Let us know and we will then be able to assist further from there.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

whats all that about are you taking your lead from offshore - its documented on here by manty VM staff that all that should be done is a reboot or it may be a reset - i have honestly forgotten which but [with respect] i suggest you check with your knowledgeable colleagues and stop adding rubbish to the thread - its bad enough when customers get that from offshore - its totally unacceptable when it happens here

Tony.
Sacked VIP

Hello Ilyas

Thank you for your reply. As an update on the problem, the hub does feel very warm this morning and the light is still varying between orange and red.

In answer to your questions, I am able to reboot the hub, but not to remove the white power cable, which I've not been asked to do at any previous time and am unsure how to take out. There are currently no issues with my services and I don't want to risk losing any of them whilst this matter is being resolved. I hope you understand that. The hub has been in the same space in my house for several years with no issues - it is well-ventilated and there is nothing blocking the hub surfaces. It is on a desk which is quite close to a radiator, but always has been. I can't move the hub elsewhere as the cable is not long enough.

I hope you can assist further.

Best wishes, Judith

Thanks for reaching out @-tony- via the forums.

In cases such as this, we have to follow internal processes before preceding with anything else.
These are what what we must cover first before going any further.

I hope you understand.

Kind regards,
Ilyas.

Ilyas_Y
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs