cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re-joining Virgin Media

sstave01
On our wavelength

Hi just looking to confirm if there is a period of time after leaving VM before you can re-join as a new customer? I've had mixed responses from VM customer services, one saying 90 days, the other saying as soon as you are no longer a customer, you can re-join. 

Trying to find the small print so that I can move forward fully informed! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Often asked in these forums, rarely a 100% clear and official answer - I don't think VM have ever put the time out as a formal written figure. You'll understand why they would not, because it would give people more confidence to do what you're doing (not that there's anything wrong with that).  The most commonly cited figure I've seen is 90 days.

If you've not yet cancelled, then as soon as you issue notice VM will making outbound retentions calls, and those agents are able to make offers around new customer pricing, although you'd probably need to use other ISPs new customer pricing as the benchmark.  I'm not sure if the outbound retentions agents are allowed to offer new customer pricing if a cancelling customer says "I'm leaving and then rejoining in a few weeks to get new customer pricing", maybe try that and see.  Quite often they'll make repeat calls if you don't agree a retention deal, so you could try that first, see if it flies.  If not, then if you get a subsequent call, use competitor pricing (bear in mind they know what deals are being offered, so do your research, don't try and blag it).

And if you can't get a deal or they don't call you, then you follow through, leave and rejoin after 90 days (this of course assumes you have a plan to last 90 days without VM!).

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

12 REPLIES 12

Andrew-G
Alessandro Volta

Often asked in these forums, rarely a 100% clear and official answer - I don't think VM have ever put the time out as a formal written figure. You'll understand why they would not, because it would give people more confidence to do what you're doing (not that there's anything wrong with that).  The most commonly cited figure I've seen is 90 days.

If you've not yet cancelled, then as soon as you issue notice VM will making outbound retentions calls, and those agents are able to make offers around new customer pricing, although you'd probably need to use other ISPs new customer pricing as the benchmark.  I'm not sure if the outbound retentions agents are allowed to offer new customer pricing if a cancelling customer says "I'm leaving and then rejoining in a few weeks to get new customer pricing", maybe try that and see.  Quite often they'll make repeat calls if you don't agree a retention deal, so you could try that first, see if it flies.  If not, then if you get a subsequent call, use competitor pricing (bear in mind they know what deals are being offered, so do your research, don't try and blag it).

And if you can't get a deal or they don't call you, then you follow through, leave and rejoin after 90 days (this of course assumes you have a plan to last 90 days without VM!).

sstave01
On our wavelength

Thanks - I've also heard you can leave and re-join almost immediately under a different name.

When we joined VM, we weren't yet married so it's under my wife's maiden name. 

Now we are married, I could set it all up under my name - we have proof of address etc. so it might fly! 

It certainly would, because the contract is per individual.  In law you would be a new customer and could certainly take out a new contract, although if it's paid from the same bank account they might well get picky.  if it's different name, different bank account, then simply placing a new customer order should terminate the existing contract, although she'd be wise to phone and confirm that (saying she no longer needs an internet connection...).  

Note that ending one contract and a partner becoming a new customer may well involve her returning the old kit, and VM sending out new kit to you, and any ISP email addresses will be lost forever. 

newapollo
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

There is also the possibility of losing your current landline number as in most cases that would need transferring to another provider and then porting back in.

Dave
I don't work for Virgin Media.
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge.
Problem solved? Click to mark as a Helpful Answer, or use Kudos to say thanks
The do's and don'ts.
Keep the community welcoming for all. Please read the FAQ's
The Service you do for others is the rent you pay for your room here on Earth - Muhammad Ali

Thanks for that, I hadn’t realised that but quite frankly it’s been awhile since I’ve used any landline number so this won’t impact me as much as it might others.

I canThanks for that, I hadn’t realised that but quite frankly it’s been awhile since I’ve used any landline number so this won’t impact me as much as it might others.

I can imagine people with a business line or a number that they wish to retain might feel otherwise!

If there's a landline you don't want to lose, then just transfer that to a VOIP provider.  Vonage have a home phone offer that is a good bet if you're not technical, Andrews & Arnold would be your choice if you're looking for lowest price and happy to dabble in the technicalities of configuring the required analogue telephone adaptor.  With a VOIP phone, then changing ISP (and even address) means you take the number with you without having to do anything other than plug the VOIP adaptor into the router.

ajfennell61
Tuning in

I rejoined virgin after 48 hours and got a better deal then I was paying originally....

Well that’s great to know. Thank you. Did you have to wait for 30 days for you existing account to be cancelled before you could reply? I’m being told I have to give 30 days notice.

No they sent me new boxes and to send the old ones back I was back with em within 3 days give or take ...but didn't need to wait the 30