cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re-Pull nightmare

PhilRGR
Joining in

On the 26th, Virgin Media scheduled work in my area 9am-3pm - fine, I'm sure it needs to be done, no problem.

Post 3pm, all Virgin Media presence have left my street, I should be back online according to service status, I still have nothing. Hub 5 is flashing red, no broadband, no TV. Call Virgin Media who send out a technician on the 27th, brilliant.

27th, technician arrives, I explain to her what has happened, she goes outside to try to resolve the issue, for her to come back apologetic saying that my underground cable has been severed in the work done the day before, she will speak with her manager as it requires a repull total loss of service. She said it should be done as a priority within 48hrs, bit of a pain but OK it happens...

28th, no appointment information sent, spend 3 hours on the phone to Virgin, transferred to 7 different people and here it is:

- Supposed to be done on the 28th, but has been delayed to the 19th October, nobody can tell me the reason for the delay, nor are they able to book anything sooner.

- It's not a problem, it will be fixed on the 19th of October and don't worry, I will get compensation for loss of service which should make everything perfectly fine.

- I can't cancel my contract and go with a company that can provide me internet sooner, it won't let them cancel my contract as there is an outstanding job, but don't worry, I can cancel after the 19th of October (very helpful).

- Each time I got through to cancellations team they would take my information, put me on hold and then transfer me to the technical team, it was a beautiful waste of 3 hours in a loop of cluelessness.

Complaint reference: C-280923978

TLDR:

Virgin media severed my cable, I should be thankful whilst I wait for 3 weeks with no service for them to fix it. Oh and it not possible to cancel in this time.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

goslow
Alessandro Volta

You should start making some alternative plans for a temporary connection while you wait (mobile data SIM, hotspot etc. on a rolling monthly contract). When cable installation dates get bumped into the future, the default amount of time seems to be 3 weeks. This often infers that the job is circulating in the twilight world of VM's pending cable installation tasks (often tasked to a sub-contractor to complete).

Keep detailed notes of all VM's failures as you go along (dates, times, messages, missed visits, failed visits where nothing happens etc.). This will help ensure you get the correct compensation

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/billing-and-payments/automatic-compensation

You might get reconnected shortly or you might be in for a very long wait. Unfortunately, no one at VM will be able to give you any information which you can genuinely rely upon as to which it will be.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

goslow
Alessandro Volta

You should start making some alternative plans for a temporary connection while you wait (mobile data SIM, hotspot etc. on a rolling monthly contract). When cable installation dates get bumped into the future, the default amount of time seems to be 3 weeks. This often infers that the job is circulating in the twilight world of VM's pending cable installation tasks (often tasked to a sub-contractor to complete).

Keep detailed notes of all VM's failures as you go along (dates, times, messages, missed visits, failed visits where nothing happens etc.). This will help ensure you get the correct compensation

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/billing-and-payments/automatic-compensation

You might get reconnected shortly or you might be in for a very long wait. Unfortunately, no one at VM will be able to give you any information which you can genuinely rely upon as to which it will be.

Thank you for that, I've read similar with repull posts on this forum. Such a shame nobody at Virgin will actually own this problem and help. 

Thankfully I have an unlimited data package with my Virgin package, just reliant on the 4g/5g network signal in my home which has left my phone in some precarious positions trying to get the best signal, not ideal and certainly not powerful enough for the whole house.

Ideally Virgin would have a failsafe for this and send out a 4g router with unlimited sim card for if this happens, but I'd imagine that would take some forward thinking and common sense, so that won't happen either.

The brutally frustrating part is of-course, I could be up and running with another company using BT infrastructure or city-fibre, but that would mean Virgin actually accepting responsibility and doing what's best for their customers.

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @PhilRGR 

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

Very sorry to hear of the experience with the cabling.

I'll send you a PM now to assist further.

Best wishes.

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

PhilRGR
Joining in

Update: 

I might need to put the lottery on today, there's people working on my property outside that look as though they may be attempting to pull a new cable through, I won't count my blessings just yet... I'm sure there will be a problem.

PhilRGR
Joining in

I am re-connected! Thank you John for your help. 

Do you know when I should expect information about the compensation due to loss of service?

goslow
Alessandro Volta

VM should credit your account within 30 days of the service being restored following a total loss of service.

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

But work out for yourself how much compensation is due, because VM have a history of offering only nominal amounts. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Adri_G
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi, PhilRGR.
Thank you so much for all your posts and replies, we're delighted to hear you're all sorted now and your services are up and running again. 🙂

That's great news, many kudos to John_GS for helping out too!

Regarding any loss of service compensation due to this issue, please refer to our policy here to view all FAQs and info you need.
We can gladly advise that as the service has been restored, our auto-compensation will kick in and any credits owed will reflect on your next bill to come.

Please, do let us know if you have more questions or concerns and we'll be happy to assist you.

Adri
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs