cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Notifying previous supplier

WillBuf
Tuning in

So, to clarify, if we are keeping our telephone number, then VM will contact our old supplier? And if so, at what point will they contact them? Before or after the engineer's visit?

It's all a bit confusing. Our current supplier (PlusNet) says we should contact them if we are switching to VM. So, after booking our engineer visit, we called them to let them know the date of the visit (i.e. the date of the switchover?). However, looking on the VM forums now, it seemed that we shouldn't do this, as if PlusNet 'switches off' the line then the old phone number can't be 'ported' across?! So, we called PlusNet again and put a 'hold' on our cancellation.

But, if VM contacts PlusNet (to port across the phone number), then this will be after the engineer's visit, won't it? (Likewise if we take up John's suggestion, and contact them ourselves after the visit). That means we will be paying for two internet services for a while (PlusNet ask for 14 days notice)?

3 REPLIES 3

jbrennand
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Someone else should comment re. the Phone.

Better to keep Plusnet BB until VM is installed and working to your satisfaction. Sometimes installs can go pear shaped and drag on for weeks or months - I think the current record holder is well over a year.

You wont be billed at all by VM until the day their service is installed and activated.

--------------------
John
--------------------

I do not work for VM. My services: HD TV on VIP (+ Sky Sports & Movies & BT sport), x3 V6 boxes (1 wired, 2 on WiFi) Hub5 in modem mode with Apple Airport Extreme Router +2 Airport Express's & TP-Link Archer C64 WAP. On Volt 350Mbps, Talk Anytime Phone, x2 Mobile SIM only iPhones.

WillBuf
Tuning in

Hi John, thanks for the reply, and the 'warning'!

I think you're right - better to be safe than sorry. It does mean we'll be double-billed for a while (VM will start billing us when their service is up and running, and PlusNet need 14 days notice to switch off their service), but it's probably a price worth paying (I am not a gambling man!)

I'm still curious to know at what point VM will contact the old supplier about porting across the number though ...