Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cable damaged by birds

Hi VM...

I'm not sure if this is the correct thread to report this, but the cable connecting our house to the exchange (overhead) has been damaged (I believe by birds).

It is now registering no dial tone and the phone is asking to check the cable. 

Can we please arrange an engineer to come and look - this is external so should be no property access required.

Please let me know if this can be arranged.

Thanks - Dan

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superstar
Message 2 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi virgin don't use overhead cables they come in at ground level, I've read many posts were pet rabbits and puppies have chewed through cables but birds are a new one. Regards Micky
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Alessandro Volta
Message 3 of 19
Flag for a moderator

If it’s an overhead cable it’s an OpenReach one. 

Tudor
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't and F people out of 10 who do not understand hexadecimal c1a2a285948293859940d9a49385a2
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi dreadducks, 

Thank you for getting in touch and posting to the Community. 

Our members have correctly advised that the cables you have reported are not ours so we would be unable to arrange the repair but I just wanted to check in and make sure you are not experiencing any service issues that may have prompted you to check the cabling.

If you are having any problems or need any assistance, please do let us know. 

Thanks 

Nat
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 5 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi Nat,

Thanks for the feedback. My understanding is the Virgin rent the cables from OpenReach and therefore I need to raise the issue with yourselves, and you have the relationship with OpenReach.

I have tried raising an issue with them, but as I have no contract or agreement with them, it's not something they can help me with directly.

Can you please open a call with OpenReach to resolve the issue...?

Thanks,
Dan

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hello

VM do not rent the lines from Openreach all the VM lines use their own cable which travels underground to the nearest VM green box, there is no link between OpenReach and Virginmedia.

Regards Mike

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 7 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Hi Mike,
So this is my telephone line that we're talking about - and pre-dates the installation of cable at the property.
As part of the deal for broadband / TV etc, Virgin took over all my services, including the delivery of my Landline phone.

But there was no installation of a new phone socket, the delivery of the phone service is still via the 'older' overhead phone line. 

That's the bit I need fixing.
HTH
--Dan

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 19
Flag for a moderator

your understanding is wrong - openreach cables especially those overhead are not used by VM and they [VM] do not rent cables from openreach

so lets start again - are you a VM customer - if so so you have a VM land line - if so then i assume that is not working - if that is correct VM will resolve the problem - again if thats true then the damage is in the VM cable that comes into the external wall box or in the cables from that box - either way VM will send a tech to resolve the problem

if non of the above applies and your liad line is with openreach and feeds via the overhead cable then you need to contact whoever you pay for the land line

Tony
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 19
Flag for a moderator

.Hi dreadducks, 

Thanks for getting back to us. 

@DJ_Shadows1966 is correct, our connections are ran underground so I am unsure as to why they advised this.

It would be worth contacting them again to raise this matter 

Thanks 

Nat
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 10 of 19
Flag for a moderator

Mike, Tony, Nat,

Thanks for the feedback (and setting me straight..!) 
I'm always open to learning!! 😉

So, the situation is that VM provide my telephone service, and currently it is not working. 
Clearly I (incorrectly) assumed it was the ageing, damaged over head phone line, but as that is clearly not the case, can you (I assume Nat), advise how I get the Landline service restored?

Thanks again everyone - appreciate the support. 
--Dan

0 Kudos