Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

QuickStart but without white box, need engineer for fibre

Hi all, 

I've moved into my house and there's an existing virgin media cable which the old occupier said will work, foolishly I believed her and ordered my Hub 3 through QuickStart. 

Upon install it seems I have a copper coaxial cable not fibre and would therefore need an engineer to come and install fibre up to my house. 

Can someone advise me on how this is done? I'm terrible!

Thank you guys

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: QuickStart but without white box, need engineer for fibre

@SeanD7 wrote:

Hi all, 

I've moved into my house and there's an existing virgin media cable which the old occupier said will work, foolishly I believed her and ordered my Hub 3 through QuickStart. 

Upon install it seems I have a copper coaxial cable not fibre and would therefore need an engineer to come and install fibre up to my house. 

Can someone advise me on how this is done? I'm terrible!

Thank you guys

Generally it IS coax cable from the exchange to the premises...

Some areas is fibre to the box on the wall outside, then coax in the home.

What's the reason for it not working? How do you know?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Essentially I followed the install guide, after it displaying the correct light set up indicating no issues are present, it was not displaying on any device as available to connect to. I have reset the hub, checked the coax connection both into the hub and from the brown box outside and all seems to be in order.

There was only one instance where it showed up on my phone, i connected to it (weirdly without requiring a password) and within 30 seconds the network disappeared.

It's copper going into the brown box and running under my property and into the back of the hub.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

copper is generally correct - its fibre to the main street cabinet that then feeds other cabinets - copper is used and the connection from your local cab most certainly will be copper

better add that there are fibre to the premises areas but thats completely different - so from your description all is good

so is it or is it not working - if not what colour is the base light on the hub and is it flashing

when you set it up did you ring to activate the hub

Tony
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tony,

It always finds its way back to having a yellowish bar at the bottom and no other indication anywhere else, this is from many resets and waiting long enough for it to reboot in time. I hadn't rang about activation but my account says I have my broadband up and running and I recieved a text this morning saying it was activated. Still isn't displaying on the networks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

bottom light should be white but that can vary from that to shades of cream or yellow and with no other lights showing it would look ok

so  post some info from the hub

log into hub3 - 192.168.0.1 [or 192.168.100.1 if in modem mode] - DON'T SIGN IN, click - click router status [centre of screen] - and post the downstream and upstream figures - to see those press on the grey buttons/boxes labelled - upstream - downstream

do you have any wired devices - are they connecting to the network

Tony
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

wired my laptop in and alls well, I've got the up/down stream values here.

Cannot connect wirelessly through any device.1.PNG2.PNG

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

theres more downstream channels than that but as a snapshot its all ok as is the upstream

so the connection is good wired which takes us to wifi - i assume you have the correct wifi passwords - should be on the card that came with the router - lets try a full reset if you are confident you have the wifi password correct - there was a post on here the other day where the user could not log into a 'new' hub - a reset which will take everything back to default cured that which suggested the log in password was not default - a lot of the hubs are now second hand - they are supposed to be checked and reset but maybe some slip through

Tony
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Ok no problem a reset sounds good.

I've noticed the wifi was there momentarily so i connected on my phone (still doesn't ask for a password) so I thought maybe its a good idea to set my own password via the router settings so I did and the wifi is still passwordless. I'm thinking you are right and a reset could rectify this too, is the method of reset the one which you hold the reset button down for 5-10 seconds or are you talking about a different reset? Thanks again

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superfast
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@SeanD7 wrote:

Ok no problem a reset sounds good.

I've noticed the wifi was there momentarily so i connected on my phone (still doesn't ask for a password) so I thought maybe its a good idea to set my own password via the router settings so I did and the wifi is still passwordless. I'm thinking you are right and a reset could rectify this too, is the method of reset the one which you hold the reset button down for 5-10 seconds or are you talking about a different reset? Thanks again

60 seconds for a full reset.

0 Kudos