Menu
bodhed
Joining in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

QuickInstall - no Virgin Wall Socket only a BT Master Hub5C inside but have a brown NYNEX box outside

Hi there,

I ordered the QuickInstall kit for broadband/phone to my new house. Turns out there is no Virgin Wall Socket but just a 'BT Master Socket 5C' wall socket inside.  Outside, there is a NYNEX brown box plus a BT box - not sure if that has any relevance but guess it's very old since that company has been defunct for ages.  Previous owner said they used Sky for Broadband.

Spoke to VM text mesage service who said they would charge £99 callout charge for an engineer to install a wall box.  Can someone here confirm this?  If this is true, I'll just cancel the contract as isn't worth that up front amount when I can get another provider cheaper than VM anyway...  If it's true, someone please direct me how to cancel the contract - I asked the text message service how to do this about 15 minutes ago but still haven't had a reply... and I'm not wasting more hours on hold to the call centre... seems like this has been a huge waste of time anyway! Hopefully not - if the connection from VM is good then I'll be a lifetime customer.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
bodhed
Joining in
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: QuickInstall - no Virgin Wall Socket only a BT Master Hub5C inside but have a brown NYNEX box outside

2021-02-16 12.03.01.jpg2021-02-15 17.54.41.jpg

Pictures of the exterior box and interior wall socket

0 Kudos
Z92
Problem sorter
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: QuickInstall - no Virgin Wall Socket only a BT Master Hub5C inside but have a brown NYNEX box outside

It's the cable underneath the openreach box you are interested in, it doesn't have to be a socket. As long as it has a connector on you'll be fine 🙂

0 Kudos
bodhed
Joining in
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Ah - let's hope so! After about 90 minutes of text chat with the VM help and them repeatedly saying they have to charge £99, and me repeatedly asking them how to cancel the contract, they said they'd send an engineer for free...  Back at my old house now but will be at the new house tomorrow, will update if your advice is a success.  Many thanks.

0 Kudos
bodhed
Joining in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

P. S. My followup question is whether there's any advantage in having the engineer (who is already scheduled) to install a Virgin Media Wall Socket anyway since all I have at the moment is a trailing lead, assuming it actually works... Having a wall socket I presume means I can extend the lead to put my box a bit further into the house, although I think the lead that they supply isn't very long anyway.

0 Kudos
nodrogd
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

The £99 charge is supposed to be for non essential alterations. If you can't use the service without the alterations they should not be charging you.

Virgin BB TV Landline. Freeview/Freesat HD, Virgin Mobile, Tesco Mobile. Cable customer since 1993

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
bodhed
Joining in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks nodrogd, appreciate you sharing the knowledge, which VM's own staff don't appear to have.

0 Kudos
sayekm
Fibre optic
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

If the engineer is attending free of charge why not take the opportunity to have the socket fitted better location of your choice so you dont need to have long surface cables on the floor. 

Also ask the engineer nicely for a spare cable between the socket and router. These guys normally happy to make a spare cable and will save you lot of trouble in future.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
M200 Oomph - 5GB SIM + 3 extra SIM family plan - BT whole Wi-Fi - Sky Q
............................................................................................................................
Don't cry over Virgin price increase instead speak to retentions team and negotiate a better deal.
0 Kudos